Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Apple Monitor is 14" but viewing size is not even close!

Apple Monitor is 14" but viewing size is not even close!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2002, 03:22 AM

Wondering -- i got a performa 630CD the other day and the monitor is in fact an apple brand 14", but the viewable area is clipped severely, leaving me with only MAYBE a 12" viewing area... There is no control panel to adjust this and no controls on the monitor... I know that on my ORIGINAL iMac there is an option in the monitors/sound control panel to adjust the <--> and the >--< and the vertical also... do i need to upgrade to system 8 to enable this control panel or option or am i simply BURNT up?!?!?!? I really would like to use the ENTIRE viewing area of the monitor since it has a tv tuner, but i need help.

thanks.

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: Illogical ]

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2002, 07:17 PM

well i guess it's safe to say that no one knows or that they just dont care. doh!

Occasionally Useful
Feb 18, 2002, 07:31 PM

i have an old monitor for the old pc i have loitering in my room. there's no controls on that either. a guy was fixing it once, i watched him. he took the back off and tweaked some pots inside. if you fancy having a go yourself, go for it, but be careful as the CRT is still totally charged up and could kill you

don't come running to me if you touch the wrong bit and die a horrible death
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Clinically Insane
Feb 19, 2002, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
<STRONG>don't come running to me if you touch the wrong bit and die a horrible death</STRONG>
I don't think you'd have to worry

It's pretty safe. I stripped my 5500 the other week. I'm gonna do it again to expand the screen too

Just DO NOT dismantle the CRT... only take the PLASTIC exterior off. IF you're confident enough, that is.

Leave it off for several days first; CRT's hold a massive residual charge, for a long time.

Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2002, 06:20 PM

Sounds to me like you have a 14" fixed resolution. If it has a flat but bowed glass, then you have a Trinitron 14". If so, then you actually have a very good monitor. The reality is that there was a class action lawsuit a few years back against all the major monitor manufactureres where the class that was sueing stated that manufacturers were claming dimensions for screen size that were actually the glass dimensions, not the viewable dimensions. Thus providing for dissapointing actual viewing dimensions New monitor boxes have two numbers on them, the dimensions and the viewable area. All the 14" trinitron gut, no controls monitors from apple actually had a viewable area of about 12", and a fixed resolution of 640x480 and synched on green.

Don't adjust the monitor! It is what it is. Appreciate the crystal clear state of the trinitron tube (if that is the case) and leave well enough alone.

If there is one thing I will never understand, it is the need to have the image on a CRT run up to the edges of the plastic case.

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: jeromep ]

Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2002, 10:07 PM

I disagree. the more screen space, the more work that can be done at once. Monitors that have huge black borders (&gt;1 inch) are really annoying.

I have a performa plus monitor. I opened it up a while ago, and couldn't find the potentiometers. where would they be? The resolution does not seem to go above 640x480 (as jeromep said).
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2002, 03:48 AM

I have a Performa Plus monitor on a Performa 600. The monitor is fixed resolution, much like the 14" Apple Trinitron, but not nearly the quality. Small sized monitors from the early 90s or even earlier will be fixed resolution. Small sized multiple scan monitors are really a relatively recent concept.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2002, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

I don't think you'd have to worry

It's pretty safe. I stripped my 5500 the other week. I'm gonna do it again to expand the screen too

Just DO NOT dismantle the CRT... only take the PLASTIC exterior off. IF you're confident enough, that is.

Leave it off for several days first; CRT's hold a massive residual charge, for a long time.</STRONG>
Actually, CRT capacitors can hold a nasty (if not lethal) charge for a very long time (longer than just a couple of days). If you're careful, you can open one up safely. If you don't know much about electricity and electronics, you'd be better advised to leave it alone.

Most older monitors have access for the adjustment pots without removing their covers. If you have the 14" Trinitron monitor (Model M0401), then it has an access cover on the back opposite the side with the power and degaussing buttons. Other models of monitors may simply have holes in the case without a cover. You can adjust the pots with a small screw driver. Although not absolutely necessary, it is recommended one use a plastic screwdriver (for safety).

With that said, however, most people are better off not adjusting these controls as it's easier to mess things up than fix them. In any event, the best you'll be able to do is make your pixels larger; you can't increase the number of them on these monitors (they are not multi-sync monitors and have only a fixed resolution).

For more info, see the Monitor Repair FAQ.

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Rainy Day ]

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2002, 12:43 PM

what is the model name of the monitor on the back of the unit?

Most likely you have a fixed resolution monitor, which is only 640x480 and you can't go higher. If you try to change the settings to stretch the image to the ends, you will just get a fatter image not better resolution. If the monitors control panel lists only 640x480, then that's all you get.

If you want multiscan resolution and image stretch, then just go out and buy a regular 15" monitor.
If you bought a Performa 630CD today, it must not have cost very much, or you got ripped off because its not even a PowerPC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules