Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > NO!!!!

NO!!!!
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 09:18 AM

Augh! I finally got a chance to upgrade my Performa 475 to Sysytem 7.5.3 last night. I then attempted to update that to 7.5.5. Was going great to power flickered off in the middle of the install to 7.5.5. Now the computer starts up with the blinking disk with the question mark inside it. I have since lost the original software install disks for this computer, so therefore I have no way right now to reset it...any help/ideas please???

Mac Enthusiast
Feb 22, 2002, 06:16 PM

Use the 20th anniversary mac in your signature to download the 7.5.3 images free from apple.com and use Disk Copy to make your floppies.

I have a 20th anniversary mac too and it comes in handy for floppies since the rest of my macs don't have them. BTW, it took a while for me to discover it had one since it is so well hidden!

drewman

Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2002, 06:57 PM

This should help.

Older System Downloads
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2002, 11:38 PM

OK, I must be retarded...please help! I do have the 19 part download on floppies still...after all, I did update to system 7.5.3 then attempted to go to 7.5.5. Now, how do I get it to start up from this? I did put disk 1 of 19 in but it spits it back out. As stated, the original software disks are long gone. Man this is frustrating!!

Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2002, 12:40 AM

the updates were bad. there was a bit of voodoo in them or something

here is the accepted ritual- reboot. zap pram. hold shift/extensions off. run 7.5.5 installer.

search google. there were a lot of complaints. just be glad. this week, I had an LC crash during the same update, rebooting to a sad mac.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2002, 01:49 AM

You aren't kidding about the Voodoo. I don't know what was worse, using 7.1p4(was that p for pre-release or performa?), or updating to 7.5.3 and then this mess. Oh well, I'll be up all night getting to work, and I WILL get it to work!! Cheers all, and thanks

Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2002, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>You aren't kidding about the Voodoo. I don't know what was worse, using 7.1p4(was that p for pre-release or performa?), or updating to 7.5.3 and then this mess. Oh well, I'll be up all night getting to work, and I WILL get it to work!! Cheers all, and thanks </STRONG>
The p was for Performa.

The 7.1p series was 7.1 with some different Control Panels and things for the Performa series of computers. They went from 7.1p1 to 7.1p6, and then the changes were rolled into System 7.5

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
<STRONG>OK, I must be retarded...please help! I do have the 19 part download on floppies still...after all, I did update to system 7.5.3 then attempted to go to 7.5.5. Now, how do I get it to start up from this? I did put disk 1 of 19 in but it spits it back out. As stated, the original software disks are long gone. Man this is frustrating!!</STRONG>
I could be mistaken, but don't you need to make the first floppy bootable with disk copy? I think it's an option somewhere in disk copy.
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules