Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Video cards which work in OS X

Video cards which work in OS X
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 08:19 PM

What video cards DO work in OS X on pre-G3 Macs? What PCI cards have you actually had good/bad luck with? (other than the Radeon 7000 which does not work--unless someone has recently found otherwise)

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 09:41 AM

SOMEONE using an "Older System" must also be using OS X!! Yes or no?

Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 10:58 AM

I've run an ATI RageOrion128, and I believe the iXMicro Turbo128 work. Search for a thread here on video unsupported. There was a long thread which may or may not still have applicable info in it (drivers may be useable that were not in the beta of OSX or visa versa).

If you have a specific card in mind (the voodoo chipset cards will never work according to several people who've tried). Sometimes it is simply a matter of installing with the on-board video and adding the card after installation (boot into 9, to do settings and the boot into OSX).

Good luck.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 04:55 PM

From what I read it seems that the only PCI ATI cards that are fully supported by OS X (without additional drivers) are the RAGE 128 -- true or not??

Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by WizOSX:
<STRONG>What video cards DO work in OS X on pre-G3 Macs? What PCI cards have you actually had good/bad luck with? (other than the Radeon 7000 which does not work--unless someone has recently found otherwise)</STRONG>
I was going to post on this same topic... I have a Radeon 7000 that doesn't work on my 8500 under OS X, despite the fact that the card ships w/ X drivers. I assume that the card does work on "X supported" machines, am I wrong? I was wondering as well if it might be an issue with xpostfacto (or, UnsupportedUtilityX)...

I do have an *old* ATI Mach 64 that does work in X... it's usless for 3D work, but handy for driving my second monitor. I do hope someone finds a soulution for this issue soon.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by himself
I have a Radeon 7000 that doesn't work on my 8500 under OS X, despite the fact that the card ships w/ X drivers. I assume that the card does work on "X supported" machines, am I wrong? I was wondering as well if it might be an issue with xpostfacto
There is lengthy article with user experiences with the 7000 card at:
www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/radeon_7000_feedback.html#storytop

The long and short of it is that the problem lies in ATI's drivers --they work with Blue&White machines and newer. This seems astonshing to me because I would assume that a large portion of ATI's sales for this card would be to users of older machines who want to "buy" OS X video acceleration.

Anyway, read that

<Rtech>
Mar 18, 2002, 01:27 AM

<STRONG>What video cards DO work in OS X on pre-G3 Macs? What PCI cards have you actually had good/bad luck with? </STRONG>
I've got a Rage 128GL (from a B & W G3) to work - accelerated - under OSX 10.1.2 in a 7500 w/G3 card. You need the ATI ROM XTender file from ATI's September 2001 update somewhere in your osx library folder, AND a (preferably configurable) video (VGA) adapter on the regular video port. Models without internal video (like the 8500 and 9600) seem to be more forgiving. A Rage Pro Xclaim card I tried didn't work, probably because of this (and the ROM Xtender only works on Rage128 and higher).

Regards, R

PS. I also reset the Cuda button on the motherboard right after inserting the card, something I'm guessing a lot of people are forgetting when installing new cards - and this may be the cause of quite a few "pci card" troubles.

WizOSX  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2002, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Rtech&gt;
I've got a Rage 128GL (from a B & W G3) to work - accelerated - under OSX 10.1.2 in a 7500 w/G3 card.
How much did it speed up OS X?

<Rtech>
Mar 18, 2002, 07:33 PM

<STRONG>

How much did it speed up OS X?</STRONG>
A fair bit, although it won't make for your jaw to suddenly drop. (Dropping in a much faster CPU still is the guaranteed way to speed all things up.) QuickTime movies play faster, and OpenGL/game stuff suddenly works (including Unreal Tournament for X - about 20 fps so far). OSX Finder is faster when moving windows, but *a lot* of Aqua functions seem not to be video-accelerated yet. When you use Apple's QuartzDebug (developerCD) it's noticeable that moving windows is accelerated, but dropping down menus, scrolling and rezising isn't. Also, on a 7500 with its slow system bus speed and no 66 Mhz pci slots, a Rage128 can't exactly flex all of its muscle either.

Regards, R

Forum Links
Forum Rules