Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > IDE hard drive for SuperMac C600/240

IDE hard drive for SuperMac C600/240
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2000, 06:31 PM

I need to replace the IDE hard drive in a SuperMac C600/240. Will a standard PC 10-20 GB UltraATA drive work or does it require an older drive, i.e., can I just buy a drive at Best Buy? Any size limits?

Thanks, Carleton

OrbLord
Aug 4, 2000, 06:47 PM

Well, it *should* work because UDMA drives are all backwards compatable. And since you'll be formating it on your system, not trying to transfer a UDMA drive already formatted on a different system then it should work okay, I think. Here's something interesting, even though drive manufacturers say that their drives are "backwards compatible" meaning that they'll still work on old E-IDE systems, there are instances where the drives won't work. I took a drive off of my brother's PC system which was formatted as by the motherboard using UDMA-33. I put it on an oldler system not capable of UDMA-33, it was E-IDE only, and it didn't recognize the format. So, if you have a drive that was formated on a UDMA-33 or -66 or -100 system, don't expect to get information off of it on an E-IDE system. However, if you format it on an E-IDE system, and the drive is compatable with UDMA-33 or -66 or -100 it will be able to read the format.
This is just extra information about how "Backward Compatibility" can sometimese be confusing. In your case though, it again *should* be all good.
-Orb

The Wolfe
Aug 7, 2000, 12:46 AM

I have a 9.1GB Quantum ATA-33 drive in my C500/240 and a 20GB Maxtor ATA-66 in my C600/240. Both work great and I've had no trouble.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2000, 04:27 AM

Responding to the PC system that couldn't read a newer ATA/33 drive.

My guess would be that the BIOS of the motherboard didn't recognize the large hard drive, not that the drive was an ATA/33.

drewman

cebritt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2000, 10:53 AM

Epilogue: I found the Hard Drive Compatibility database at Accelerate Your Mac, http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drived...drivedb.lasso, and read that people had had good luck with Maxtor drives. Then I went to Maxtor's site, searched on "Mac", and found a note stating their IDE drives work with numerous Macs including the 6400 (similar motherboard to my C600).

So, I went to CompUSA, bought a 20 GB 7200 RPM Diamond Max Plus drive for $169, stuck it in my C600 and booted from a System 9 CD with my fingers crossed. Much to my amazement, it booted with a dialog box saying, "This disk is unreadable by this Computer. Do you want to initialize the disk? Format: Mac OS Extended 19 GB." I clicked OK and just 2 minutes later it was ready. It's the easiest hard drive I've ever put in a Mac!!! Very fast and quiet. I'm still amazed! Thanks for all of your input. It was very helpful!

Carleton
Austin, TX

Forum Links
Forum Rules