Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Macintosh IIfx

Macintosh IIfx
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2002, 03:30 PM

This Mac comes with a 40 MHz 68030, can this be upgraded to an 040? Or a 601 even?

Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 04:38 PM

Take a look at EveryMac or Apple-History. They might be able to help!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2002, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by l008com:
<STRONG>This Mac comes with a 40 MHz 68030, can this be upgraded to an 040? Or a 601 even?</STRONG>

Unless you like the looks of this old box,
it's probably cheaper to catch an old 6100 instead.
(Which you can pickup for $ 20 allready)

cheers,
Carolus
* iBook 600 *
and loads of oldie Macs ;-)

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Carolus:
<STRONG>

Unless you like the looks of this old box,
it's probably cheaper to catch an old 6100 instead.
(Which you can pickup for $ 20 allready)

cheers,
Carolus</STRONG>
yeah but the 6100 has one crappy PDS slots that you have to buy an adapter for to make it a NuBus, an adapter that will cost more than the computer, the IIfx has 6 NuBus slots, which is exactly what I'm after...

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2002, 12:34 AM

That name makes me remember the old days...

I still have that Macworld magazine with the IIfx on the cover and the bold quotes "Power at a Price". Do you guys realize that that system sold as a 4MB RAM, 40MB HD configuration for a breath-taking $10,000? And that was just for the CPU alone!

And you thought the G4s were expensive.

I dunno if that would be able to take a 601. The IIfx was a different beast from all the macs. It used wholly different memory from the other macs at that time, and lots of really fast, but custom stuff on the motherboard. I'd be very surprised if you could get anything more than the stock Sys 7 or 8 to run on the IIfx, much less custom hardware.

If you really wanted lots of expandability, and a PowerPC architecture .. i'd probably suggest you look at either the Quadra 900/950, the WS 95, or the DayStar Genesis MP. I believe those had 6 NuBus slots as well, and probably can be upgraded to a PowerPC far easier.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2002, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by timster:
<STRONG>The IIfx was a different beast from all the macs. It used wholly different memory from the other macs at that time, and lots of really fast, but custom stuff on the motherboard. I'd be very surprised if you could get anything more than the stock Sys 7 or 8 to run on the IIfx, much less custom hardware.</STRONG>
I concur. SCSI was also different (requires a special black SCSI terminator, not your standard issue SCSI terminator). It's really a mutant, and such an odd beast. It'll be a challenge to do much of anything with, IMO.

But it's Wicked Fast... at least that's what Apple claimed in its advertising literature.

Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2002, 02:53 AM

Isn't USB 1.0 wicked fast too?
Let's show 'em why Macworld 2003 won't be like Macworld 2002.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2002, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by PseuFighter:
<STRONG>Isn't USB 1.0 wicked fast too?</STRONG>
Nah... it's just wicked. I expected to see USB 2.0 in the new iMac. Woulda made sense. Guess Apple's afraid of USB 2.0 competing with FireWire or something.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2002, 09:14 AM

The 900 and the 950 only have 5 NuBus slots, the IIfx has 6, i'd rather have that. They daystar Genesis is a 604E machine running two or four processors, why would you suggest that, its in a whole other league from a IIfx, and then some. I konw there is an 040 upgrade that worked with other II series macs, I don't know if it would work with this one though. The only other mac with 6 slots is a 9500/9600, and those are too much money, i don't need that kind of power.

<Chris>
Mar 5, 2002, 07:34 PM

<STRONG>The 900 and the 950 only have 5 NuBus slots, the IIfx has 6, i'd rather have that... I konw there is an 040 upgrade that worked with other II series macs, I don't know if it would work with this one though. </STRONG>
Sure the fx has 6 NuBus slots, but it has no built-in video. Once you add the video card, you're left with the same 5 slots the Quad 900/950 have- and those have built-in video. There never were any processor upgrades for the FX- it's a weird orphan Mac just like the AV Quadras are. The 64-pin RAM for these is virtually non-existent any more if you don't already have that either. A pretty cool computer for its time, but way beyond its useful life.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2002, 07:37 PM

Actually you can find that ram on ebay, unlike the computers themselves. And are you sure, I was under the impression that the IIfx DID have built in video?

<Chris>
Mar 5, 2002, 09:40 PM

<STRONG>Actually you can find that ram on ebay, unlike the computers themselves. And are you sure, I was under the impression that the IIfx DID have built in video?</STRONG>
Nope, the II, IIx, and IIfx didn't have built in video- I used to own a IIfx. Most of them will come with an Apple video card of some kind, the most common offers 24-bit color at 640x480. The good news is that old NuBus video cards should be virtually free (even the "high" performance cards such as SuperMac Thunder cards). Oh, and another argument in favor of something newer is that the FX doesn't have ethernet, where all the Quadras and newer did. As someone else mentioned, the FX had a strange SCSI system and required a special black terminator- be sure you get this if you buy an FX. The FX does have 2 ADB ports, though! My personal pick for an old system, if I was looking for one would be a 7100.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2002, 12:03 AM

The IIfx does not have on-board video; requires a NuBus slot. But you could run it as a headless server with Timbuktu. What do you need all these NuBus slots for anyhow? What do you plan to do with this machine?

Regarding the early EtherNet implementations, those were the AUII ports, not 10BaseT. Required a dongle to make them useful. The IIfx had no EtherNet, of course. Don't even know if a NuBus EtherNet cards exist? Of course you could use a SCSI to EtherNet widget (provided you can find a funky black terminator).

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2002, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by Rainy Day:
<STRONG>The IIfx does not have on-board video; requires a NuBus slot. But you could run it as a headless server with Timbuktu. What do you need all these NuBus slots for anyhow? What do you plan to do with this machine?

Regarding the early EtherNet implementations, those were the AUII ports, not 10BaseT. Required a dongle to make them useful. The IIfx had no EtherNet, of course. Don't even know if a NuBus EtherNet cards exist? Of course you could use a SCSI to EtherNet widget (provided you can find a funky black terminator). </STRONG>
NuBus Ethercard are plentiful and dime-a-dozen, thats why quadra make good routers... As for why I want a machine with 6 slots... I just wanna 'toy', a toy with like, i don't know, 6 monitors :-D hee hee hee haaa haaa haaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Quadra 900/950 looks like my choice... but even they are now hard to find on ebay :-( $30 First bid plus $40 shipping, no surprise that auction has no bids !!!

Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2002, 01:41 AM

those f' ing 900/950 towers were monsters!!! and expensive to boot! still, id like to have one
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

<Chris>
Mar 6, 2002, 11:13 AM

<STRONG>
Quadra 900/950 looks like my choice... but even they are now hard to find on ebay :-( $30 First bid plus $40 shipping, no surprise that auction has no bids !!!</STRONG>
$40 shipping isn't so bad considering what a Q950 weighs. You can get PPC upgrades for them too (blocks one of the Nubus slots) and there's space for a lot of disks in there. We ran a Q950 with a PPC card as a RIP for an IRIS printer for a few years here at work.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2002, 09:08 PM

<STRONG>As for why I want a machine with 6 slots... I just wanna 'toy', a toy with like, i don't know, 6 monitors :-D hee hee hee haaa haaa haaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaa </STRONG>
Six monitors... now that would be fun!

Once upon a time, long long ago, there was a NuBus expander box. I don't think it was made by Apple, but can't remember for sure. Think it added six or so NuBos slots, but cost you one (or something like that). Don't know if there was a speed penalty for it or not. You said you wanted a toy!

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2002, 09:10 PM

Oh coool! Magma makes those for PCI slots, but i didn't know anyone made them for NuBus!! This could be fuuuuuuuun!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules