Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Disk Doctor Disaster

Disk Doctor Disaster
Mar 5, 2002, 10:44 AM

My son's computer is corrupting floppies...he keeps getting the message: "this disk cannot be read by this computer" He has run Norton Disk Doctor to no avail...after corruption the disks won't read on my computer either. Some of them are elderly but some are fairly new....he is desperate to retrieve this info...are there any thoughts out there?
live as if you will die tommorrow...learn as if you will live forever.

<anonymous>
Mar 5, 2002, 11:34 AM

Try tossing the the Finder prefs.

gepepa  (op)
Mar 5, 2002, 12:34 PM

thanks, anonymous...will do
live as if you will die tommorrow...learn as if you will live forever.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2002, 02:47 AM

There's a good possibility that the floppy drive has gone bad or out of alignment. In the latter case, however, the disks are usually readable by the drive which is out of alignment, but not on another drive. Sometimes, re-inserting the floppy into the drive several times will eventually pay off. If you get lucky, copy the data immediately.

Also, try opening the shutter to the floppy and examine the disk. If there's dust on it, blow it off (top and bottom). Make sure to rotate the disk a full 360 degrees, but be careful not to touch the magnetic area. If there are smudges on the magnetic area, clean it with rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab.

Best of luck. Don't hold your breath though.

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2002, 03:41 AM

I sympathize.

It is my feeling that your floppy drive is dead. Misaligned is about as good as dead becasue you still have to go get a new floppy drive anyway. I mean, this is a 90% confident thing. The only thing that would help me suggest anything else would be knowing if this problem is related to all floppies, or just a limited few.

Once you have either decided that the finder preferences was the issue, or after that a physical hardware issue, go get a new floppy drive from a drive exchange service to make sure you have a reliable drive, but never, ever again rely on floppies for sensitive data storage.

If you are going to store data off of the machine, or want to make good backups, please use a Zip drive. Zip disks are much more reliable, and the Zip drive is in general more reliable, especially since Iomega has fixed the click of death problems of early drives. Floppys are the 8-track of computing. They are dead.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 7, 2002, 09:31 PM

<STRONG>If you are going to store data off of the machine, or want to make good backups, please use a Zip drive. Zip disks are much more reliable, and the Zip drive is in general more reliable, especially since Iomega has fixed the click of death problems of early drives. Floppys are the 8-track of computing. They are dead.</STRONG>
Um, Zips are basically high capacity floppies. For that reason, i would be reluctant to trust them for sensitive data archiving.

MO discs are probably the safest media for long-term storage. CD-R's come in second. I used to use MO's, but have gone to CD-R's because they're so cheap these days (media and drives). CD-R's (or CD-RW's) aren't as convenient to use as Zips or MO's, however.

But for backups, Retrospect makes CD-R's so easy to use. And with blank CD-R's running around 22 cents per GigaByte (if you look around), there's no reason not to backup to CD-R if you have the drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules