Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Forcing boot off other SCSI drives

Forcing boot off other SCSI drives
BaronReldon
Aug 8, 2000, 07:31 PM

My <slashdot joke>First Post</slashdot joke>

I was able to scavenge an Apple Workgroup Server 9050 for use at my school. The computer came as is from a Warehouse, so I don't know what shape it's in exactly. I was able to get it to boot there after several tries, and in the little time that I had, was able to find out that it had 72 megs of RAM, System 7.5.1 and 2 hard drives. Didn't have time to deal with anything else. After I got back to school, my friend and I found that we couldn't get it to boot right. It would take about forever to get past the little mac screen, and would freeze just when the desktop came up if not before. My friend and I couldn't get to our bootable CD collection, so we went and got an external LaCie SCSI Hard Drive that had a system folder on it. However, we couldn't find a way to force it to boot of the external. (Yes, we tried unplugging the internal drives but it didn't work.) How can I force the Mac to boot of a drive of my choice besides the CD?

I'll go after it tomorrow with a CD but I'd like to know this, both as general knowledge and if I can't get a CD again.

Thank You!

------------------
Andrew
Fighting a valiant rearguard against x86 domination on his Network

Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2000, 07:46 PM

cmd-opt-shift-delete will force the Mac to look elsewhere for a bootable volume. Make sure there isn't any SCSI conflicts, especially with the 2 internal drives.
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

BaronReldon
Aug 8, 2000, 08:26 PM

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure there are no SCSI conflicts, I went inside the case (I love doing that) and checked them, I'm not Certain about the CD-ROM but I'm pretty sure that it's not conflicting. If I know the SCSI ID, can I tell it to boot of that particular volume? I think I remember reading about that somewhere but can't recall where or how.

Thanks Again!

------------------
Andrew
Fighting a valiant rearguard against x86 domination on his Network

Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 8, 2000, 08:56 PM

The CD ROM should be SCSI 3. One of the internal hard drives is most likely ID 0. You'll also want to make sure that there's a terminator on the external hard drive. I'm also assuming that your external hard drive has a version of the system software that is compatible with the WGS 9050. Depending on the version, there may be enabler files required to boot the machine.

Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2000, 05:07 PM

When get your CD's to it, Hold the "C" key as it starts up, that will foce boot from the CD.Sometimes it helps to hold the shift key at startup to disable all extensions. Once you get it up, go to the "Startup Disk" control panel and select the drive you want to boot from.
Probably wouldn't hurt to start this whole process by zapping the P-RAM when you start (Command-Option-p-r, immediately at cold boot, hold keys thru 3 cycles of chimes)

Forum Links
Forum Rules