Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How do I take out the HD from a 6100?

How do I take out the HD from a 6100?
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2002, 08:14 PM

I have a Pmac 6100 and a Centris 610. The Hard drive on the 6100 works. The rest of the machine doesn't. The harddrive in the 610 is dead and the rest of the machine works. I'm going to swap the 6100's drive into the 610, but I don't know how. All I really need to know is how to take out the drives. Thanks.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2002, 09:14 PM

Here is the Centris 610 user guide. And here is the the PM 6100. I don't know whats different between the two, but there should be take apart's to both in there.
I know a guy from nantucket, and well lets just say the stories about him are greatly exaggerated.

Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2002, 02:14 AM

From memory, when you take the lid off the PM6100/Centris 610:

Unplug the power and SCSI cable from the back of the hard drive.

Remove the tin shield in front of the hard drive (it's clipped on top and bottom).

The hard drive itself is on a plastic shuttle. Depress the tongue on the shuttle and pull the drive forwards.

Reverse the process to put the drive into the other machine.

The .pdf document previously mentioned should provide more detail if you need it - my guess is that it's the tin shield on the front which is confusing you. I know it caught me out the first time I tried this.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules