Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Applevision 1710 av monitor does not turn on.

Applevision 1710 av monitor does not turn on.
jattar
Aug 14, 2000, 04:53 PM

I own an applevision 1710 av monitor. One day during boot up, the first thing I saw on the screen was my blue backgroung with light grey diagonal lines across de entire screen from right to left (on the forward slash //// direction). It lasted for about a second and then the boot up proceded normally with a good viewing. The next day, when I booted up, the display received the signal to turn on because the green light flashed for a fraction of a second but immediately after it turned off and the monitor remained black. With the computer ON, I tried to turn the monitor ON and OFF manually but everytime it was the same as previously described. I connected an old performa monitor to the same computer and it works perfectly. Would anybody please give some advice.

The Wolfe
Aug 14, 2000, 07:01 PM

When did you get your display? Did you buy it new or used?

The 1710 and 1710AV moniters had some serious flaws with regard to the Sony tubes that shiped with the units. As a result, many of the tubes that went bad were replaced by Apple free of charge, so check to see if you have a referb unit if you bought it used.

I recently bought a 1710AV used, and checked to see that the tube was replaced. Mine was replaced in Feb. of '97.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

D-Savin
Aug 17, 2000, 11:12 AM

How do you check if the tube was replaced? I bought a "refurbed" 1710 late in 1999, but I don't know what was "refurbed" about it.

Thanks

Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2000, 04:16 AM

Yeah, I have the same prob with a 1710. Again, how can we check on this and is that replacement scheme still going/ can we get it replaced cheaper or for free?
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2000, 02:05 PM

I got mine replaced by Apple Service Provider, they checked the serial number on the back of the monitor to see if it was within the number range of defective 1710AV's. Call Apple and ask for their assistance. Hope this helps!
Carlos
Carlos

jattar
Aug 18, 2000, 11:29 PM

After The Wolfe's response I contactec Apple Customer Service. The representative that spoke with me said that if the warranty of the display was expired there was nothing they could do. Now from what Carlos said, I will have to try harder.

Any suggestions from anybody?

Aug 25, 2000, 01:53 AM

Last fall, my monitor (a 1710) was doing a similar thing, except it did this over a period of several months. It would sometimes contort the display into a series of vertical zig-zags, or condense the entire display into a single, extremely bright horizonal line. This kept getting worse and worse, until the display failed to produce a viewable image.

Distressed that my $1200 CDN monitor was toast, I phoned my local Apple repair center, and they told me that they'd seen it before. The "only" fix was a new controller board, which would supposedly run me about $1500, making it pointless to even consider replacing the board.

However, wanting a second opinion, I talked to several other computer users and they all suggested I take the monitor in to a local monitor/television repair guy.
I did, and he was successfuly able to fix it, for a nominal fee.

It turns out that there were many poor solder joints on the board, which in turn fried a few resistors and a capacitor. I was overjoyed to have my monitor back again, and it has been problem free ever since.

I would advise you to look in to having your monitor repaired. Perhaps it is only plagued by some poor electronic workmanship, which should be easily repairable. It may not be as big a problem as you think.

Good luck,
infiniti
12" iBook 900

jazzlon10
Sep 8, 2000, 10:59 PM

I had a similar problem on my 1710AV, except mine went completely black. Since it was almost five years old with heavy use, I thought it was a goner. But I took it to an Apple repair facility and they replaced the main deflection board. THEN I started having the kind of problems you had, with the green light coming on briefly then going out. Sometimes I could get the monitor to come on by continuing to press the On button, but many times it simply wouldn't come on. I took it back and it was determined that the new board was defective. They replaced it and I've been troublefree for about six months. Be warned that the fix is not cheap if you have a technician do it. It's probably better to just buy a new monitor, but I like the 1710.

------------------
Lon Argabright

The Wolfe
Sep 9, 2000, 12:50 AM

If your Apple display has been refurbished, it may have a new serial code sticker on the back, along with the date it was refurbished on. Other than that, opening up the beast might be the only way to tell. My particular 1710AV monitor doesn't have a sticker on the back, although it has an Apple sticker on the side with the contents that were replaced listed.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Forum Links
Forum Rules