Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > macintosh llcx

macintosh llcx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2002, 08:36 PM

small hard drive that I can't access. Tried Disk Tools and Norton, no joy. Is it possible to use my mac100 portable to access the 11cx hard drive? I don't care if the 11cx is damaged I basically just want the old files it's still holding.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2002, 09:24 PM

You didn't say what the problem was. Can you boot using floppy or, if you have a CD drive, using a CD?

You might be able to set your PowerBook to SCSI Disk Mode, and boot your IIcx using the PowerBook as an external HD (but that depends on your System Folder of your PowerBook). But without knowing more about your symptoms, it's really hard to advise you.

coachy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by Rainy Day:
<STRONG>You didn't say what the problem was. Can you boot using floppy or, if you have a CD drive, using a CD?

You might be able to set your PowerBook to SCSI Disk Mode, and boot your IIcx using the PowerBook as an external HD (but that depends on your System Folder of your PowerBook). But without knowing more about your symptoms, it's really hard to advise you.</STRONG>
Thanks for the reply RD. I keep getting a 'disk damaged' window when I try to boot the llcx. I can start up the llcx up with a 'disk tools' floppy system 7.1, but the hard drive won't kick in. Norton gives me a 'damaged disk' message from running Disk Doctor. When I run 'Volume Recover' it loops and comes back to the startup message. I think the hard drive is screwed. I was wondering though whether I could somehow jack from my powerbook 100 (or my iMac for that matter) to the llcx and some how access the files that way? Seems like a stretch?

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2002, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by coachy:
<STRONG>I was wondering though whether I could somehow jack from my powerbook 100 (or my iMac for that matter) to the llcx and some how access the files that way? Seems like a stretch? </STRONG>
No, this won't work because the HD isn't mounting (from what you describe). If you can boot from floppy and still don't see the HD, the problem is on the HD itself. Most likely the Volume Table of Contents (VTOC) or similar sectors are hosed.

Norton can sometimes fix this kind of thing, but it can just as easily make the problem worse (this happened to me a couple years ago). Chances are very good the data is still on your HD, but you may have to develop some expertise to recover it. If you feel adventurous and are technically inclined, you could use Norton's Disk Editor to manually snoop the HD and fix the busted sectors. Usually all that's wrong are a few bytes, and if you can figure out where they are and what they should be, you'll be able to recover your data. I've recovered a few HD's this way.

Was the drive originally initialized with Apple's Drive Setup program? (if it's the original drive from Apple, the answer is probably "yes") If so, can you see the HD from Drive Setup? If yes, then try mounting the HD. This probably won't be successful, but if it is you might be in business. If it doesn't work, try "updating" the driver. Be careful not to initialize the HD! This might solve the problem, but the odds are really against it. My money is riding on a screwed up VTOC and your only hope might be manually fixing it.

Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2002, 02:21 PM

DiskWarrior is always an option and has fixed troubles I didn't think could be fixed. It is only ONE solution. Norton and TechToolPro are the other good options. DiskWarrior only works on the drive at the level of drivers and directory rebuilds, but it does its job.

Good luck!

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2002, 05:17 PM

I think DiskWarrior is probably the best disk utility out there, but it won't help in this case because the disk can't be mounted.

Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2002, 06:24 PM

Yeah, if you can get DriveSetup to mount it and then run DiskWarrior. I forgot it didn't have an option to search for unmounted drives (as Norton does).

Hopefully you can get the drive to mount. If you have another mac, you may try and see if you can put it into another mac (watch the scsi IDs and termination). Have you seen if the cables have come loose? Does it spin up (audibly) and attempt to mount?

If you can boot from your OS CD-ROM run DriveSetup to see if you can mount it. Then DiskWarrior can fit the application itself onto a floppy and run to do the fix.

Again, Good luck.

[ 03-19-2002: Message edited by: bluedog ]

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2002, 01:12 PM

<STRONG>If you have another mac, you may try and see if you can put it into another mac (watch the scsi IDs and termination). Have you seen if the cables have come loose? Does it spin up (audibly) and attempt to mount?</STRONG>
No, this is not necessary. From what coachy has already stated - "I keep getting a 'disk damaged' window when I try to boot the llcx." - we know the IIcx is actually talking to the drive. If the SCSI controller or the cables were the problem, coachy wouldn't be seeing the damaged disk icon, but rather the disk with a question mark icon. With these symptoms, we can safely rule out the SCSI controller or cables and say the problem is likely on the HD itself. Since the volume will not mount, it is most likely the VTOC, or similar sector, but possibly the driver.

Taking the drive out of the IIcx, under these circumstances, will not yield any additional information and will only increase the number of independent variables of things which could possibly be wrong. Trust me on this; i have a lot of experience troubleshooting these kinds of problems, having done so professionally. There is a remote possibility, however, it could be a SCSI termination problem. Coachy should unplug any external SCSI devices from the IIcx and try booting again. Usually, however, bad SCSI termination would cause the disk missing icon to appear. Could also be, as you mention, a SCSI ID conflict. Removing any external SCSI devices from the IIcx should eliminate that possibility; the IIcx's only internal SCSI devices are the drive, usually at ID 0, and the Mac itself at ID 7. A SCSI ID conflict could very well cause the symptoms coachy has described, but if all external SCSI devices are removed and the symptoms persist, then we can safely say the problem lies on the HD itself. If Hard Drive Setup is able to see the drive (even if it can't mount it), then we also can rule out all other problems mentioned here and with 99.9% certainty say it's the VTOC or driver (most likely the former).

<STRONG>If you can boot from your OS CD-ROM run DriveSetup to see if you can mount it. Then DiskWarrior can fit the application itself onto a floppy and run to do the fix.</STRONG>
This may not be possible, unless coachy has an external CD for the IIcx. The IIcx has just one internal HD and one internal floppy drive (no internal CD drives). It can often be found in configurations with an external floppy. But the IIcx will boot off floppy, and coachy has a PB 100 -- which can go into SCSI Disk Mode and emulate an external HD (assuming the correct cable for this is available; SCSI Disk Mode adapters are available for this) -- so DiskWarrior could be run from there.

[ 03-20-2002: Message edited by: Rainy Day ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules