Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Hard Drive upgrade in 5400

Hard Drive upgrade in 5400
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2000, 11:48 PM

I'm needing to replace the internal 1.6 gig hard drive in a PowerMac 5400. I'm looking at one of the new Maxtor Diamond Max IDE/ATA hard drives. Has anyone successfully installed one of these drives into a 5200/5400/5500 series? Are there any potential conflicts to be aware of? I found an interesting article in the TIL that mentions PIO modes and LBA. Do the Maxtors fit these specifications?? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Tony

Admin Emeritus
Aug 16, 2000, 03:54 AM

It should work fine. Just like SCSI (actually, more so), IDE is highly backward-compatible.

FWIW, IBM has some awesome hard drive prices at its own website (http://storage.ibm.com)

tooki

Tintim
Aug 16, 2000, 12:05 PM

I have a Power Mac 5500 and I connected a Quantum 8.4GB ATA/66 hard disk to it several times and it worked fine. I just connected it by opening the I/O door and did what I needed to do with it and disconnected it when I am finished. I tried to take out the internal hard drive to replace it permanently, but even after opening the computer housing case, I have not been able to take the hard disk out. If you manage to take out the hard internal hard disk, tell me how you do it.

SteveX
Aug 16, 2000, 06:00 PM

I also have a PowerMac 5500. Has anyone managed to remove the internal Geoport modem? Also I have a USB card in the PCI slot, can I remove the video input card and replace it with the newer PCI graphics cards e.g ATI Rage 128?

Tintim
Aug 16, 2000, 08:06 PM

In response to the last post, the video in slot is different from a normal PCI slot so you will not be able to install a PCI video card on it. There is a Comm II slot in the Power Mac 5500 and if you have a modem card in that slot, it is easy to be remove, read the manual if you are not sure. If the Comm II slot is empty or has an ethernet card in it then there is no Geoport modem in your 5500. You could connect an external modem to either the modem or printer port of the computer.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2000, 11:17 PM

to permanently remove the old HD from a 5xxx series mac, there is a small plastic kind of "spring" that you must lift up to remove the drive. It is visable under the drive. It is attached to the drive carrier.

When you lift up the spring, you can slide the drive and carrier out of the machine. It is then a simple matter of remove the carrier from the old drive, and attaching it to the new one.

If you need any more help with that, email me privately, and I can take photos to show you how

I just upgraded the 4GB in my 5500/250 to a 20GB and am now very familiar with the process

tonymac  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2000, 11:30 PM

Thanks to all of you for your help. I'll be attempting the installation this weekend. I'm glad to hear that this older Mac is compatible with the latest IDE/ATA hard drives.

Forum Links
Forum Rules