Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerComputing HD Problem!

PowerComputing HD Problem!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2002, 10:26 PM

I have a PowerComputing PowerCenter 150. I am trying to format the 2GB drive. I know the Apple Utility won't format it. But the orginal FWB utility won't either. I click Format and I get a message saying, "Drive was not ready when the bus was scanned. Please select 'Rescan SCSI Bus' from the File menu and try again." I do this and i get the same message over and over. When I double click on the drive I get a message saying, "Drive is not ready. Make sure drive is correctly cabled and spun up before using this command." I need some help! The drive won't format or mount but shows up in the utility. Thank you for your time and help!

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2002, 11:52 AM

What version of system software are you using? Do you know (i.e. have you tried) for certain the Apple Utility won't format the hard drive... every drive I've owned I've been able to use the Apple Utility on (BTW I own a PowerCenter Pro 210). Have you changed anything recently on your SCSI bus (i.e. added or removed an external ZIP, new CD-ROM... anything like that? Please give us some more information.

Chris

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2002, 01:30 AM

The version of FWB is old. It is the orginal OEM copy. I have not done anything to the SCSI chain. However I was formating the drive and then had a power failure. Then when I went back to format it it wouldn't. It has sat at rest for atleast 8 hours and I have tried to do it again and I still get that error. Thank you for your time!

Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2002, 03:02 PM

So I assume you are booting from a CD-ROM and formatting from there? I would try the Apple Utility to see if it can help... I have found their formatting utility sometimes works when others fial. Something like DiskWarrior or Norton Utilities also might be able to salvage the drive so that it will mount and you can then reformat it. Beyond that... it probably isn't a cable or termination issue like I thought it could be... sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Chris

Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2002, 10:37 AM

The drive may have been damaged during the power outage. When you format a hard disk, it writes heavily to the disk, and if your computer is shut down improperly, such as the case in your power outage, the heads, which write to the disk can scratch the platters. Sounds like your drive might have been killed. Only thing i can think of. Although i have had problems with apple's formatting utility before... Hopefully this is not the case, but i think it probably is.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules