Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PM8600/200 w Crashing CD-ROM

PM8600/200 w Crashing CD-ROM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2000, 01:58 PM

I own a PM 8600/200 w CD-ROM, that every time I use the CD it crashes my system (OS9.04). I tried the system extensions, but that didn't resolve it. I even tried by initializing my Hard Disk and found that trying to reboot from the CD-ROM was a true nightmare , I couldn't. I eventually reinstalled my OS via network at home, but my CD-Rom continues crashing every time I insert a CD into it!

Does anyone else have this problem?
Can the problem be fixed?

Carlos
Carlos

GeorgeB
Aug 21, 2000, 12:31 PM

We need more information to go with...does it freeze, bomb, white screen or other?

asayd
Aug 21, 2000, 12:34 PM

Do you have file sharing turned on?

------------------
Devin Asay
Humanities Research
Center
Brigham Young
University

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2000, 12:58 PM

Have you recently added anything inside to your SCSI chain? If so, you might need a SCSI terminator on the end of your SCSI chain, lest SCSI voodoo begins to take over your machine.

Also, try to see if the SCSI signal cable in the back of the CD-ROM is plugged in fully.

Have you also been able to try another System CD? It's possible that the one you have is damaged.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2000, 06:16 PM

The computer just freezes, no bombs, no white screen, no black screen, just freeze! I have a SCSI scanner, but it freezes with or without the scanner connected. I have also a Voodoo Banshee card installed (Village Tronic's 850MP), but I have also tried it without the card installed and no real difference, except the computer gets really slow. I have heard of a problem with 8600/200 motherboards communication with CD-ROMs some time ago on a similar chat, know anything about this?
Carlos

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2000, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by atomiks:
Have you recently added anything inside to your SCSI chain? If so, you might need a SCSI terminator on the end of your SCSI chain, lest SCSI voodoo begins to take over your machine.

Also, try to see if the SCSI signal cable in the back of the CD-ROM is plugged in fully.

Have you also been able to try another System CD? It's possible that the one you have is damaged.
The computer just freezes, no bombs, no white screen, no black screen, just freeze! I have a SCSI scanner, but it freezes with or without the scanner connected. I have also a Voodoo Banshee card installed (Village Tronic's 850MP), but I have also tried it without the card installed and no real difference, except the computer gets really slow. I have heard of a problem with 8600/200 motherboards communication with CD-ROMs some time ago on a similar chat, know anything about this?

------------------
Carlos
Carlos

Aug 25, 2000, 02:06 AM

if you've messed around with your SCSI chain lately, or even if you haven't, check the SCSI IDs on all your drives, internal and external.

Your Internal CD-ROM should be ID 3, and no other devices may have that same iD. For that matter, no two SCSI devices on the same bus may have the same ID #. I'm sure you know all this already, but I just want to make sure. =)

I have no other tips at the moment, but if I think of anything, I will post it here.

Good luck,
infiniti
12" iBook 900

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2000, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by infiniti:
if you've messed around with your SCSI chain lately, or even if you haven't, check the SCSI IDs on all your drives, internal and external.

Your Internal CD-ROM should be ID 3, and no other devices may have that same iD. For that matter, no two SCSI devices on the same bus may have the same ID #. I'm sure you know all this already, but I just want to make sure. =)

I have no other tips at the moment, but if I think of anything, I will post it here.

Good luck,
infiniti
Thanks, SCSI ID is OKAY! I think it could be the internal video card that might be flimsy!

------------------
Carlos
Carlos

Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2000, 07:06 PM

I have a cyborg'd 8500/120...
Make sure you have both the Apple CD driver and Foreign File Access on in Extensions Manager control panel.
Possibly your Mac is trying to index the CD, I had some odd stalls with OS 8.5 and 8.6 but no problems with OS9+... maybe the drive has died, my original drive was replaced when it was a year and a half old. If you have access to one, try an external CD, use a known unused ID. If it works, that's a bad sign for the internal...
As for ID's, your CD is probably attached to the slow SCSI inside and is the same bus as the external SCSI connector on the back of the Mac, while the hard drives will(should) be on the fast bus(7x00, 8x00 and 9x00 series all have 2 separate SCSI busses, one at 5MBPS and one at 10MBPS)...check both ends of the ribbon to make sure connector is fully seated.

qgee
Oct 29, 2000, 02:16 PM

I have an 8600/200 and I have had that same problem. The cd rom would crash with no bomb while I was accesing it. I trie chaning scsi id numbers and termination but nothing worked. CD rom drives on the external bus seemed to work fine. I seemed to cure the problem by switching the order in which the devices are chained. I left the hard drive were it was but I swapped the zip and cd rom drives, then terminated the zip drive. I haven't really had any cd rom crashing problems since. I'm using OS 9.04 by the way. Try this and see if it works.

Sambo
Nov 6, 2000, 01:42 AM

My 8600/250 has the CD and the original Hard Drive on the same fast SCSI chain. Always have been - have always worked fine. I have seen the video die for no aparent reason on one of these boxes before though (along with the entire pci bus). Try a known good CD Rom on the same SCSI chain or an alternative SCSI chain with the original CD-Rom. Alternatively, start saving for a G4.

Heck, you could always try taking it to an authorised apple service centre!

Clinically Insane
Nov 6, 2000, 03:26 AM

Sorry, haven't read whole thread.
You mentioned the comp acting slow... that ones easy. How much RAM do you have? OS9 needs 64 minimum.
And on my 5500/250, with 32 physical and 200 or so virtual, it is slow as.
The reason you can't boot from the CD is because you don't have enough RAM to load OS9 off the CD.
Use an earlier version.

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules