Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Powerbook 280c creating hard disk clones

Powerbook 280c creating hard disk clones
cmt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2000, 05:34 PM

I need some advice on a quirk that my 280c has developed.

When you boot it up, the first time you hit the power, you get the friendly chime, and the screen lights up, then nothing.

If you wait a while, then do the Mac version of the three finger salute, you get the chime again, and it starts up. The only catch is that the start up takes forever, and when it finally gets done, the desktop shows not 1, not 2, but 7 hard disks. A neat trick when you consider that there is only one in the machine. I booted from a floppy and ran Norton on the disk (the first one anyway), and it did clean up some issues on the drive. But upon restart, all 7 still there.

I ran both SCSIProbe and Apple System Profiler and both tools report a hard drive attached to every SCSI ID (accept the one owned by the machine itself).

One other tidbit that may apply, I have no functioning battery. Any battery I put in the machine prevents it from booting. It will boot without a battery. If a battery is installed, it does NOTHING when you press the power key.

I figure:
1. SCSI widgets in the hard drive are toasted. Solution, look for a drive on eBay.

2. Power management issues have toasted the PRAM battery, and lacking any sort of electrons in the system when it is powered off has caused the thing to go crazy. Solution, new PRAM battery.

3. SCSI widgets on the logic board are toast. Solution, small service with family and friends, and disposal of the body.

It is a handy little machine, ideal for e-mail and such when you want to travel light. I'd hate to give it up.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks
cmt
Ecclesiastes 2:18-19
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool?

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2000, 05:14 PM

Have you tried resetting the power manager? If you don't know how here are some TIL articles:
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n14449
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n10572

Do you have the proper software loaded for the type of battery you have loaded?

drewman

cmt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2000, 09:43 PM

Drewman,

Thanks for teh suggestions. A while back, when the battery went south, I tried the Power Manager reset thing. It did not help. I will however, check out the TILs you listed and give them a try. What could it hurt, right?

I am curious about your comment on having the right software for the battery type. That is a new one on me. Which software are we talking about? The battery in question is a type 3 NiMH battery. As far as I can tell, it is dead as a brick, but I guess that could be a power manager issue.

cmt
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool?

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2000, 03:48 AM

Apple had special drivers for each type of battery. If you didn't have the driver loaded then the computer didn't know how to handle the battery.

drewman

cmt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2000, 10:43 PM

I'll have a look around Apple's web site for the drivers for the batteries.

You will not believe the latest in this saga! I left the little pup unplugged with the battery out of the bay for several days. The other night I plugged it back in, it booted on its own (I never hit the power key), and the clones are gone. I shut it down and started it again, and they are still gone. I am beginning to think this must be related to power in some way. That or the hard drive is not dead, just flakey.

I'll do the power manager stuff and look for the battery software and let you all know what happens.
cmt

cmt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2000, 11:03 PM

Hey Drewman,

In the TILs you gave me it talks about an enabler that you need for type 3 batteries. The article mentions that 7.5 has the software built in to use the type 3 batteries. I did a search in the downloads area on Powerbook and Enabler and all I get is the 7.5.2 updates.

I am running 8.1 on the little fella, so I am assuming that if the software was built into 7.5, it is still there in 8.1. Am I missing something?
cmt

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2000, 04:20 PM

Yes, it is built-in to 7.5, I didn't know which OS you were running.

drewman

cmt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2000, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the help!
cmt

Forum Links
Forum Rules