Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Internet Connection from 7500/100

Internet Connection from 7500/100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2002, 09:50 AM

Hi,

I'm new to Macs and looking for some help. I volunteered to connect a Power Mac 7500/100 to the internet for someone and it wouldn't seem to be as straightforward as I thought.

Firstly, it's running MacOS 7.5 something - do I need to upgrade it and to what?

Secondly, it has a GeoPort which I'd never seen before. Do I need a special modem to connect to this or will a standard one plus a special cable do? If the latter, what about modem drivers?

Also, can you recommend a browser and e-mail package. I'm used to Explorer and Outlook but I guess these might not be the best options.

Thanks in anticipation.

Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2002, 08:14 PM

MacOS 7.5 will probably be OK.

First off, do you have an actual GeoPort pod, or is it just that you noticed the GeoPort port on the back of the chassis? A normal modem will not work in the GeoPort port. If you have a "normal" modem, you'll have to use the printer port. Once we've determined if you have the GeoPort pod, then we can proceed down one of two paths to get you on the internet... The GeoPort pod has a cable on one end that plugs into the back of the computer, and the other end has two phone jacks, "in" and "out". If that's what you have, then you'll need to download the latest "Apple Telecom" software from the Apple web site. Otherwise, you'll be going with a standard modem, which I really don't know much about...

Explorer and Outlook are certainly OK, but I prefer Netscape and Eudora Pro.

Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2002, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by Norman Brown:
<STRONG>Firstly, it's running MacOS 7.5 something - do I need to upgrade it and to what?
</STRONG>
7.5 is fine for connecting to the internet, although System 7 can be a bit unstable sometimes, and lots of modern applications require &gt;= OS 8, so if you can upgrade to 8.x that would help.

As for e-mail, I reccomend Eudora, although version 4.3 is the latest that will run in OS 7.5. It is a little tricky to find on the Eudora download site, but search the support docs for "old system" and you should find a link to it.

I also reccomend iCab as the browser, since it takes very little system resources and is very stable. Opera and Netscape cut out with errors a lot in 7.x.

The 7500 is by far my favorite Mac -- upgrading it is cheap as bones. Look around for 200Mhz 604e upgrade cards, or low-end G3 cards as a cheap way of doubling speed, and make sure you install some cache & max out the VRAM. For internet and basic productivity apps, this baby runs just as fast as most newer Macs.

--Chris

7500/200 604e
4 gig/16MB
OS 7.6.1
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2002, 02:58 AM

Hi. Thanks.

In response to your question on the GeoPort - it just has the port on the back of the case. I presumed that there would be some sort of special cable to connect this to the modem but perhaps I'm hoping for too much.

Originally posted by Sword of Orion:
<STRONG>MacOS 7.5 will probably be OK.

First off, do you have an actual GeoPort pod, or is it just that you noticed the GeoPort port on the back of the chassis? A normal modem will not work in the GeoPort port. If you have a "normal" modem, you'll have to use the printer port. Once we've determined if you have the GeoPort pod, then we can proceed down one of two paths to get you on the internet... The GeoPort pod has a cable on one end that plugs into the back of the computer, and the other end has two phone jacks, "in" and "out". If that's what you have, then you'll need to download the latest "Apple Telecom" software from the Apple web site. Otherwise, you'll be going with a standard modem, which I really don't know much about...

Explorer and Outlook are certainly OK, but I prefer Netscape and Eudora Pro.</STRONG>

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2002, 03:06 AM

Chris, thanks.

I had thought about upgrading and I've downloaded MacOS 8.6 from the Apple web site but the documentation suggests that you need to have MacOS 8.5 first. Any ideas how you upgrade from 7.5 and where I can download the OS?

Confused of Scotland.

Originally posted by hempcamp:
<STRONG>

7.5 is fine for connecting to the internet, although System 7 can be a bit unstable sometimes, and lots of modern applications require &gt;= OS 8, so if you can upgrade to 8.x that would help.

As for e-mail, I reccomend Eudora, although version 4.3 is the latest that will run in OS 7.5. It is a little tricky to find on the Eudora download site, but search the support docs for "old system" and you should find a link to it.

I also reccomend iCab as the browser, since it takes very little system resources and is very stable. Opera and Netscape cut out with errors a lot in 7.x.

The 7500 is by far my favorite Mac -- upgrading it is cheap as bones. Look around for 200Mhz 604e upgrade cards, or low-end G3 cards as a cheap way of doubling speed, and make sure you install some cache & max out the VRAM. For internet and basic productivity apps, this baby runs just as fast as most newer Macs.

--Chris

7500/200 604e
4 gig/16MB
OS 7.6.1</STRONG>

Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 4, 2002, 08:42 AM

Hello Norman,

anything from System 7.5.5 up will be fine for Internet on a 7500/100.

System 7.5.5 is the latest System Version that can be obtained via free downloads from Apple's sites (you have to get the full version of 7.5.3 and then the upgrade to 7.5.5).

I support the proposals to use Eudora for mail (my favourite is Eudora Light 3.1.3, see http://www.emailman.com/mac/clients.html for download links) and iCab for browsing (www.icab.de), available in PPC and 68k versions, as well as different languages.

My recommendation for internet access under System 7 is FreePPP from Rockstar (http://www.rockstar.com/ppp.shtml).

I am not sure what your question regarding GeoPort means. At the back of the 7500, just between the ethernet and the video socket, there are the serial ports. The bottom one is labeled with a telephone handset icon. Using a normal modem cable for Mac, you will be able to plug in most serial modems on the market.

GeoPort just means that the serial ports have been enhanced (compared to 68k Macs and Performas) to support speeds of up to 230,400 bps (in theory, i.e. when all conditions are optimal ;-)

On machines of this class, I have installed Modems of the 33600 and the 56000 (V90) variety, brands were Lasat, US Robotics, Elsa, Zoom, Global Village, Zoom, etc. Remember, in most cases the Mac modem cable must be bought separately.

Regards,

Walter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules