Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Slowing Computer - Need help!

Slowing Computer - Need help!
Mary Montague
Dec 10, 2000, 12:20 AM

Macintosh Performa 5260CD
I thought this was solved but it isn't. I have 64 megs RAM 1.2 gigs HD with 347 megs available and system software 8.1. It used to be quite fast. I haven't put any new programs on but lately when I click to open or close a document there is a delay. Memory is set to defaults and apple share is off. I have run Norton Disk Doctor and everything seems fine but the computer is still is painfully slow. I removed Printer Epson Stylus 740 software and reinstalled it- also reinstalled system software. I need help. Thank you.

MacHobbit
Dec 10, 2000, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Mary Montague:

Macintosh Performa 5260CD
I thought this was solved but it isn't. I have 64 megs RAM 1.2 gigs HD with 347 megs available and system software 8.1. It used to be quite fast. I haven't put any new programs on but lately when I click to open or close a document there is a delay. Memory is set to defaults and apple share is off. I have run Norton Disk Doctor and everything seems fine but the computer is still is painfully slow. I removed Printer Epson Stylus 740 software and reinstalled it- also reinstalled system software. I need help. Thank you.
Try zapping the PRAM and a desktop rebuild. Set virtual memory to 65 Mb.
If all of these don't speed your system up, I would reformat the HD and start from scratch.

Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2000, 07:12 PM

I assume when you mention Norton, you also optimized(De-frag) your hard drive also... I usually use the "disk re-sizing" algorithm. If not, do so. Rebuilding the desktop should help. Check for open folders, set global prefs to NOT calculate folder size. If you can find someone with a copy of Disk Warrior, optimize your directories.

Forum Links
Forum Rules