Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DVD Drive on a 5200???

DVD Drive on a 5200???
sascha
Sep 4, 2000, 02:30 PM

Hello all!

I just got a used DVD drive (IDE) and wonder if there's any way to replace the slow CD-ROM drive in my Performa 5200 with it.

The built-in CD-ROM-Drive has a SCSI-Interface, but since there's an IDE-HD built-in, too, it should be possible to add another IDE device, shouldn't it?

Worst case, I could replace the IDE HD with a SCSI disk and put the DVD on the IDE cable (need to buy a larger HD anyway..)

Does anyone have experiences with this? Any help would be appreciated.

/sascha

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 5, 2000, 01:59 AM

I had an old 5200 I just sold. I am pretty sure the old IDE interface it came with supported the internal Hard drive and the CD-ROM. (but someone will probably prove me wrong). I thought it only had an external SCSI controller.
I don't know how fast this IDE interface is, but it's not going to be too rapid. You should be able to install the DVD but I don't know how great it will work. DVD's usually run best with a decent amount of system resources and speedy interfaces, thats why I've been having trouble with my PowerBook DVD. Anyways, good luck!
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

The Wolfe
Sep 5, 2000, 05:30 AM

The 5200 computers had an internal and external SCSI drive (CD-ROM on SCSI) and an IDE bus that is not master/slave compatible. These machines, as with many 1st and 2nd generation IDE Mac's, do not support more than one drive on an IDE bus.

The CD-ROM drive speed is mostly due to the fact that the controller chips and logic board design of the 5200's are so poor. I guess for compatibility’s sake, your DVD drive would work if you replaced the stock IDE drive with a SCSI one and put the DVD on the IDE bus.

However, the SCSI connector in the 5200 is located directly behind where the CD-ROM drive mounts, and is a non-standard connector that requires a non-standard to 50-pin SCSI shim to connect properly. How you would reroute a SCSI ribbon from that cramped place to the rear of the machine and vise versa with the IDE ribbon is beyond me... ...'but may fortune favor the foolish.'

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

sascha
Sep 5, 2000, 10:25 AM

OK, I was too curious and I tried it last night ..

First, if you want to try it yourself, don't make the mistake to try and open the whole case. It's a hell of a lot of work and gets you nowhere. All you need to do is remove the front and back cover parts. I also had to remove the TV Tuner card, but that was quite easy.

I _tried_ to diassemble the metal cage but I couldn't remove the monitor because of a jammed screw (F*ck!) but in the end it turned out that that wouldn't have helped me much anyway, so don't do it!

Technical-wise, there's a single IDE-adaptor in the case which is hooked to the Hard Drive. The CD-ROM drive is attached to the SCSI-port. My plan was to replace the IDE HD with a SCSI and attach the IDE DVD-drive to the IDE cable.

One should be aware, btw., that DVD Movies probably won't work anyway. They need a LOT of processing power which the 5200 just doesn't have.

The DVD drive fits neatly into the CD-ROM drive slot (the Eject button even worked better than before!). The IDE cable is long enough to connect to it. I have tried to configure it as IDE-Master, but had no luck in mounting any media. It might be that this is eigther
- due to the non-standard IDE-port (should have tried Slave, too), or
- due to the fact that the CD-ROM drive that comes with System 7.6.1 is not made for DVD-ROM drives, particularily not for those that are not from Apple (the same drive works fine right now in my beige G3 with OS 9)

The bigger problem, however, was the non-standard SCSI-Interface. It was a hell of a taks to remove the backpane from the drive holder, just to find out that absolutely no other drive than a slow and loud SCSI CD-ROM will ever fit to it.

BTW: You can get a bit more cable length by removing the SCSI-cable from the holder on top of the slot. Just bend the metal fingers down and you can get it out. So cable-length is not a big problem (though smaller hands than mine would have been a big help in working in such a small place

At 3 o'clock at night I finally had my beloved Mac re-assembled (sans a few "unnecessary" screws), basically at the same state as before. I just left the CD-ROM out, because I plan to replace it with a CD Toaster. Of course I'll write you how THAT worked out :-)

Greetings

/sascha

Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2000, 01:03 PM

Hehe, I could've told you that it wouldn't work 'cuz of hardware limitations earlier if I had seen the post earlier
With software DVD decoding, you'll at least need a 350 G4 to work reasonably well. My G4/450 has its share of glitches when something randomly eats up CPU time in the background. G3s have hardware decoding *grr* that makes same speed CPU DVD playback faster on them B&W G3s. As for HW DVD decoding, I think some of the ATI Rage128 commercial chipsets have that ability, but don't quote me on it...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

sascha
Sep 6, 2000, 09:16 AM

Actually, it wasn't so much hardware but much more software problems (no CD-ROM access under 7.6.1) that brought me back to stage 1.

However, since I have this video adaptor card in my 5200, can't I use this for DVD decoding? I've heared it has a MPEG decoder built-in already.

/sascha

Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2000, 12:55 PM

u got me on that one...all I know is DVD uses a variation of MPEG2 compression...I figure with HW DVD decoding, you'll have to be able to patch your DVD-ROM drive to your video card somehow, no? I dunno, sowwy.
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

The Wolfe
Sep 6, 2000, 05:34 PM

DVD MPEG video decompression is indeed different from the MPEG decompression that Apple advertised the 5200 series as having. It will not support DVD video playback.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Forum Links
Forum Rules