Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Whats an Orange PC??

Whats an Orange PC??
g0ld
Dec 10, 2000, 11:02 PM

I just heard about an orangepc and was wondering what did it do. Is it an emulator or something. If it is how much and where can I get it.

g0ld

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2000, 01:37 AM

OrangePC is a PC on a card for Macintosh computers. It has a Pentium or compatible processor (older ones had a 486 or compatible). It comes with software that lets you switch between the enivironments and share peripherals.

VirtualPC and Softwindows have eaten into hardware PC card market, but I believe you can still get one. Apple had their DOS compatible series (the 6100 and 7200 in the PowerMac series) that used Apple's version of this idea.

drewman

Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2000, 03:12 AM

Orange Micro made the OrangePC. However, the cards have been discontinued. Check out http://www.orangemicro.com/productarchive.html for more information.

The best part of emulation software is that if you get an upgrade for your Mac, like a new processor card, you instantly get an upgrade for your PC. The same is not true of the PC card. That and many other reasons, such as the relatively high price, were why the cards were discontinued.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2001, 03:38 AM

Now that this thread is going I suppose I should add some material. A couple of years ago I played around with a PC hardware card equipped 6100. I was basically impressed. Literally, you ran two computers at once, a full fledged Mac and a nearly complete PC, that used the Mac for some drive components, and I think memory components, but that remains fuzzy. The only big problem was long term compatibility with the Mac OS. If it was an Apple card, the support went away a long time ago. The card required extensions to be driven and managed and it had a low grade Pentium on the card, which isn't going to get any faster with time. Software emulators are much better.

Hardware PCs in Macs are gone, but I'm sure that if we knew your current configuration, we would be happy to make more detailed suggestions.

Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2001, 10:57 AM

Orange Micro discontinued the cards primarily because of cost. After the sub-$1000 PC boom of a couple years ago, it was a far better value to just go out and buy a PC than an OrangePC card. Newer Macs also run Virtual PC rather well, further dampening the market for the OrangePC, beyond the "one box" convenience.

Caroline
Jan 2, 2001, 04:31 PM

Hello,

i have an apple pc compatibility card. They made them with 486 and pentiums (100 & 166 MHz). The problem is that they run pretty much only under system 7.6 (although there are a couple of ways to get them working in 8.1 and up). They are all pci cards and can be had for very cheap on ebay. If you have an older mac they are a great solution because they kick virtual pc's butt. For now, hardware will always beat emulation, especially with older macs.

The orange pc cards are compatible with os 8.6 at least and I think 9 as well. They are much faster and better supported I believe. Although I have never used one, most that I know are very happy with it. Particularly given the virtual pc quirks. Also, they can serve as a second video card, you can have the pc in one monitor and the mac in the other.

Caroline

Forum Links
Forum Rules