Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Power supply probs.

Power supply probs.
G-MAC2000
Dec 12, 2000, 07:10 AM

Hello!
My power supply on my PPC 4400/200 is dead! :-( How can I repair it? or where can I get a new one (In Denmark the price is about 235$ :-(ahh)

/GKN

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2000, 12:03 PM

This is real chancy, but it's possible the biggest problem is just with the fan in your power supply. UNPLUG EVERYTHING, and if you feel brave, disassemble the power supply, clean the dust and junk off the fan, reassemble it completely and try it again. This is, as we say in America, a longshot. Otherwise, I'd suggest posting on a forsale newsgroup or looking on ebay. Buying power supplies from resellers is notoriously expensive. Not $235 expensive, but often $100. Anyone know if a PS from a different machine would work in a 4400?
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2000, 11:15 AM

Be werry, werry careful. Power supplies contain capacitors, which can hold a charge after the ps is unplugged. Don't get killed over the lack of the repair fee!
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2000, 08:58 PM

I have a StarMax 3000 and it's PS is giong bye-bye. Got a new/used one on the way for under $100. Try here.http://members.aol.com/davidbauc/macsite.htm
Carpé Bandwidth

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 4, 2001, 05:02 AM

I worked for a non-authorized service center and we purchased all of our power supplies and floppy replacements from the folks at the link below.
http://www.dttservice.com/powermacs.html

Because of your location, international shipping fees will probably put your cost at about what it is if you purchase it locally. I would never suggest trying to clean out a supply to get it working again. When they die, they are usually dead and you are best off to get a new supply and send the old one back to be reconditioned.

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2001, 10:37 AM

just went to dttservice and their PS prices for a 4400 are pretty good. $45 for a floppy drive, though? wow. i pulled mine out cause i needed the bay.
i once had an internal fan kick over on me, i cleaned all the gunk and dust off of it and it came back to life. if you turn on the computer and the PS fan doesn't come on, a q-tip might save you some real $$. if not, certainly try for a new one. PSs are "worth" nearly as much as the entire system, which is pretty shady..
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules