Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Alternative to a NIC

Alternative to a NIC
tefari
Sep 14, 2000, 10:52 PM

Does anyone know of a USB to ethernet converter that fuctions on a Mac (i.e., has Mac drivers, etc)? I need to have access on a LAN, but no room for a NIC...if anyone has any other solution to this problem, please reply...

The Wolfe
Sep 15, 2000, 01:21 AM

What is your exact situation and what computer do you have?

They arenít any USB to Ethernet dongles or adapters that I know of. The only solution that I can offer would be to get a SCSI to Ethernet adapter (I take it you have an older machine with a SCSI port since all newer Mac's have networking built in). I have never used one of these myself, but apparently they work well. Small Dog Electronics has a few of them available for $33 (under their 'networking' section, 3/4 of the page down).

I'm actually putting in an order for one of these myself to see how they work.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

tefari
Sep 15, 2000, 10:40 AM

You are correct in that I do have an older Mac....originally, it was a 6360 ; since I bought it, everything has been replaced except the mother board. Right now, my lone PCI slot is being used by a USB card, which hosts my inteillimouse explorer, and my Stylus 860. I am trying to connect specifically to a high speed ethernet network.

Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2000, 10:46 AM

If you mean 100baseT, then I think you're out of luck on a non-PCI solution. Most of the SCSI to Ethernet adapters pre-date 100baseT, and therefore only support 10baseT ethernet (or in some cases 10base2). Another option, if you have an available serial port, would be to set up a LocalTalk (phonenet) network with just your mac, and buy an asante LocalTalk to 10baseT bridge (about $90). This may work with just a serial cable between your printer port and the bridge. If not, you'll need to buy 2 LocalTalk transcievers and a phone cord. (about $30). This will be really slow, but it will get you on the network.

The Wolfe
Sep 15, 2000, 01:44 PM

With the 6360 you have a Comm Slot II slot inside the machine as well as a standard PCI card - so if you look hard and you're lucky, you can still find a few Comm Slot II 10/100BaseT ethernet NIC's. They're fairly expensive, but it's an option.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

tefari
Sep 17, 2000, 05:37 PM

As a matter of fact, I was able to find the CS 2 ethernet cards, which Farallon still makes. Thank you for the help, as this is the ideal solution to my problem.

-Paul

Forum Links
Forum Rules