Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Display Error on 5200CD

Display Error on 5200CD
Josh00si
Sep 17, 2000, 10:08 PM

I just got an old performa 5200CD. The display worked fine, but now for some reason the display is off (smaller and hangs to the lower left). It's like i need to resize the physical screen like i do on my pc, but i cannot find the controls for it. Like the horizontal and vertical positions. Where are they located? Please help.

The Wolfe
Sep 17, 2000, 10:31 PM

You can configure the picture tube position via two paperclip holes on the rear right side of the machine (near the top). They are marked with the 'position up/down' and 'position left/right' symbols. This can help with centering the screen.

Unfortunately, the 5200 models do not have AppleVision support, so you can't change the geometry of the picture tube display via software in the Monitors Control Panel. I believe there are controls to increase the size of the picture up/down and left/right on the inside of the case near the rear, but this is a big pain, because you have to take the entire case apart/off. To take the case apart you need an 18" Torx-12 screw driver (Mac cracker), and a gentle hand with plastic.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Josh00si
Sep 17, 2000, 10:51 PM

where can i buy a torx-12? Also, i push the paper clips into the back of the mac, but the screen just jumps to the left, or down. then i pull the paper clip out, and it goes right back to where it was. Any suggestions why? Or maybe i'm not doing it right.

The Wolfe
Sep 18, 2000, 03:31 AM

I bought my 'Mac cracker' at Fry's Electronics, but I'm not sure who has them for sale online. Actually, after looking at my 5215CD, I realized that you don't need the 18" shaft to take apart the 5200 series cases. Don't know why I got that confused. A good hardware store (NOT Home Depot) should have Torx screw driver bits (it's a Torx-12 size on the 5200).

My mistake again with regard to the screen adjustment holes on the back. They're actually adjustable with a small screwdriver. Make sure not to break them off, since they're plastic and it becomes very hard to adjust the screen once they break.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Senior User
Sep 20, 2000, 12:41 AM

There is also an obscure utility from Apple that can control such things as position and geometry. I don't think I have it here at school, but if you are interested, e-mail me and I will look for it.

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Forum Links
Forum Rules