Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Emulator on a 1400

Emulator on a 1400
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2001, 12:51 PM

Has anyone installed a windows emulator a PowerBook 1400, What's the best one? Josh

daryl duell
Jan 8, 2001, 03:45 PM

Well, unless you've put a G3 upgrade in that machine, Virtual PC 4.0 is not an option. I'm rather happy with VPC 3.x on my 604ex machine. Just uses a LOT of RAM. No, check that. It will run with (I think) 64 Megs, but it likes a lot, and runs faster with lots o' RAM.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2001, 07:24 PM

Good points by Daryl. VPC4 is out of the question for you because you are not running a G3 or G4 based system. I covered this in another posting here at MacNN; I can't remember where, but VPC4 actually takes advantage of some of the newer instructions in the G3/4 that are not available on 604 of 603 based systems.

I'll cover these points because I'm not sure how knowledgeable you are about the 1400 series. First, you can still get a G3 upgrade for the 1400. I've heard good things about all of the available upgrades, but you are capped off at 64Mb of ram either by stacking up (2) 24 mb cards, or getting the thin profile single 48mb card. Incidentally, the single 48 card was made so Newer Technologies video adapter could also fit inside the 1400. The single 48 card was never part of the original Apple ram spec, but it didn't break any technical issues so it was made.

Assuming that you have the fastest available 1400, the 1400c/166, you probably can run an earlier version of VPC but it will be so slow that you probably will find it to be rather useless.

I believe your options are these. Purchase a G3 upgrade and then, if it is compatible, get the newest version of VPC; or you can purchase a new PowerBook and run the newest version of VPC; or you can purchase a used PC and use that for your occasional need to run PC software.

Whatever you do, don't give up on your 1400. It is probably the most solid PowerBook that Apple ever made and it is still very useable for most tasks.

[This message has been edited by jeromep (edited 01-08-2001).]

Jan 12, 2001, 11:59 AM

If you go with a G3 upgrade buy Sonnet. I have the 333 mhz G3 upgrade
and paid $33x? for it from Buy.com. They ran a special where I received
an additional discount for it. I'm running 9.0, now and am contemplating
9.1. Supposedly, 9.1 addresses some stability issues that 9 had, otherwise
you are okay to run just 8.6 on it.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2001, 05:10 AM

You are going to end up purchasing Sonnet because they are probably the only shop out there still making an upgrade for 1400. Newer Tech is now out of business It is sad to see a company go down that has been with the Mac community for so long.

In fact, I'm starting to think it would be smart to upgrade my 1400 with a G3 from Sonnet

Tim Michael [finboy]
Jan 18, 2001, 08:13 PM

It will be tough to run anything other than an older version of VPC on a 1400, with or without a G3 upgrade. The RAM is limited to 64M, and the later versions of VPC won't run in 64M of RAM (or won't run well, at least).

I ran VPC 2.1.3 on my 233G3 1400 and it worked fine in 64M of RAM with OS 7.6.1. I could allocate about 40M RAM to VPC and it did OK. Virtual memory will slow things down a lot. If you can find an older version of VPC (pre-version 3), it will run fine under OS 8.5 and lower. With the memory requirements, you shouldn't be running any later OS on a 1400 anyway -- there's no room for applications to run once the OS is in memory.

Forum Links
Forum Rules