Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Installing os 9 on beige G3

Installing os 9 on beige G3
Senior User
Jan 8, 2001, 12:03 AM

Hi, I'm trying to install os 9 on my beige G3/266 tower of my G4 os 9 install disk but the system refuses to do so - says it isn't the right computer for it. Does it really matter what type it is??? If so then do I need to go and buy myself another copy of it?

Tobbi

Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2001, 12:23 AM

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You're trying to install MacOS 9 on your beige G3, yes? And you're using the install disk from your G4? If so, give up now, you can't do that. That CD-ROM is intended for the model of machine it came with and only that model. For the G3, you'll have to get a normal copy.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

tobster  (op)
Senior User
Jan 8, 2001, 12:33 AM

... and to do that I would need to buy another copy even though I have this one (I bought this one on ebay)?

thanx, Tobbi

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2001, 09:54 AM

yes, you would need to get a full retail version.

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

Jan 8, 2001, 10:58 AM

Ummm... I use my dad's os 8.5 disk "made" for his b&w g3 fro my C600... it works fine. Can't wait for 9.1 tho...

------------------
" I couldn't tell if the streaker was a man or a woman because it had a bag on it's head." -- Yogi Berra

m7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2001, 01:58 PM

What about the program called "Wish I were". I can't seem to find a copy of it, but it used to be great for fooling an install CD that you were installing on the correct machine. What it did was allowed you to change your machines Gestalt ID to that of a different machine. Worked great on getting some clones to cooperate. I do not know if it has been updated recently. The last time I used it it was before G4's came out.

I think I got it off of a MacAddict CD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules