Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What to do with my old performa?

What to do with my old performa?
Apr 16, 2001, 07:10 PM

This is mostly about the future, say Spring 2002. But if someone has some good ideas, I might act on them before then.

Right now my main machine is an iMac DV SE 400 (October 99). I have an old Performa 6115cd at 60Mhz, with 40MB memory and 1MB L2 cache, a 350 internal drive, a 9 gig external drive, a zip 100, connected to my new machine, a laser printer, and DSL via a 10Mbit hub. It's got OS 8.1 on it now. I never upgraded to OS 9 because it was such a memory hog--8.1 uses enough!

Anyway, I'm probably going to get a new computer soon. I want to wait til next year because SJ said that all models will have a SuperDrive by then. And a G4 iBook with a SuperDrive sounds like my dream come true (don't know if it will actually come true though). Anyway, when that happens, I want to be able to do some fun stuff with my 6115.

Put Darwin or LinuxPPC on it? (I know nothing about either, but I may want to learn over the next year...) Make it an MP3 jukebox? (But how? The thing will barely play MP3s now...skips like hell...)

What cool things could I do with it? Anything? (Without spending a lot of--or any--money.)

All suggestions--sane or otherwise--are appreciated.

Treebeard

PS And no! I'm not giving it to you!

------------------
Hoom hom hmmmmmmmmmmm...
Hoom hom hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2001, 09:54 PM

I have a 6100/60 that serves web pages and hosts a mail server. Hoping to add FTP serving. Your performa could do that. Like wise you couild have it a file server for the whole network as well.

------------------
Carpé Bandwidth
Carpé Bandwidth

Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2001, 10:35 PM

It's a little slow for playing mp3s. How much ram do you have in it? I used to try to play mp3s on a 6100, and it didn't work all that well...

Darwin won't work on it. Darwin will only run on hardware that OS X will run on.

LinuxPPC won't work on it either. It's for newer macs.

If you can track down a copy of MKLinux, that will work however. That was a linux project sponsored by apple which just kinda died. (I have a copy of mklinux that I can't use since I don't have my 6100 anymore I can sell ya )

You can run ipnetrouter on it and use it as a firewall if you add a second NIC to it. It can also make a decent web server. Get a copy of Quid Quo Pro for it. That's a fairly nice little mac web server.

There might be other flavors of un*x like OSes for a 6100 that I'm not aware of.

I always really liked 6100s, because they had such a nice flat case. I wish apple still made something like it. They should make a flat box with imac guts in it. People would buy those things like crazy. 6100s are kind of showing their age though. I never thought the time would come when a PPC mac is too slow to be useful.

VRL
Senior User
Apr 17, 2001, 12:25 PM

Home automation! http://www.shed.com/

Also, I use an older Mac (550) as a mail server, among other things (SIMS is free, and easy to set up). http://www.stalker.com/SIMS/

Quid Pro Quo is good for serving up a web site, I agree. (I do this, too - mostly to test web sites.)

Another thought: Use an old Mac as a digital cookbook. (I plan to make my own with FileMaker Pro.)

BTW, this site may be of interest to you: http://www.dsitri.de/projects/mac06/mac06.html

Hope to try this out soon!
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Senior User
Apr 17, 2001, 03:32 PM

Make it a web server! It's fun & easy. You could put a database of your relatives' contact info or a coin (or Mac) collection or something...

------------------
PM 5400/G3 400
Performa 6116CD

Forum Links
Forum Rules