Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can I add an IDE drive to an 8500 w/o extra card?

Can I add an IDE drive to an 8500 w/o extra card?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 06:04 AM

I'm thinking of replacing the IDE drive in my beige G3 and wondered if the one I'm taking out (4GB Quantum IDE, I think) would be suitable to fit in my sister's 8500 as an extra drive. Would this be posible without having to add an IDE controller card, as the 8500's drive is SCSI?

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 02:21 PM

No, you will definitely require a controller card for the PCI slot to use this drive.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2001, 02:56 AM

Not true anymore if you can count on product announcements:

ACARD Technology Corp. had just released the state of art ¡§System On Chip¡¨ (SOC) design of SCSI-to-IDE controller ACHIP ARC760 (Left photo). This revolutionary SCSI-to-IDE SOC contains one SCSI phase engine processor, one RISC processor and 2 DMA controllers, all on one chip. It contains 128-pin UltraWide-SCSI version. To simplify the nomenclature, ACARD Technology has also registered the SCSI-to-IDE SOC conversion technology under the trademark SCSIDE (pronounced ¡¥skasaid) worldwide.

¡@

Based on this SCSIDE ACHIP ARC760, a simple board-level assembly on a 3 1/2¡¨ mounting frame has been built to convert a standard 3 1/2¡¨ IDE hard drive into an UltraWide SCSI hard drive assembly (Top photo). This assembly can be easily adapted to fit into most of 3 1/2¡¨ mounting chasse. For high end server/workstation application, ACARD Technology also offer SCSIDE ACHIP ARC760 converter into a five and quarter inch enclosure with dual fans and filter (Left photo) which converts the 3 1/2¡¨ IDE hard drive into a 5 1/4¡¨ UW-SCSI hard drive.

The SCSIDE engine provides very high conversion efficiency. With 7200rpm 18GB IDE drive, the single drive performance is almost identical (slightly better) than 7200rpm 9.1GB LVD (lower table) but with much lower cost.

TEST PLATFORM: ADATEC 2940UW, NT4.0 SP5
Quantum Atlas IV
SCSIDE+ IBM DTLA307030

WinBench 99/Business Disk WinMark 99 (KBytes/Sec)

WinBench 99/High-End Disk WinMark 99 (KBytes/Sec)

Forum Links
Forum Rules