Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > EDO or FPM RAM for a performa 61xx?

EDO or FPM RAM for a performa 61xx?
Senior User
Apr 26, 2001, 11:42 AM

Is there any appreciable difference/compatibility issue between these two SIMM types when used in a Power Mac 61xx? They would be the same type, but I'm just wondering which is best. Thanks.

Senior User
Apr 26, 2001, 12:28 PM

There's no difference. Both compatible, same performace (no EDO Adv.). Just found out from the 6100 upgrade site--what a great site!

Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 05:18 AM

Always go with FMP on SIMMs on Macs, 30-pin or 72-pin. Dims on the other hand there are a few early DIMM models were the requirements are just strange. Take a look at AppleSpec first. Or go to a reputable vendor like www.thechipmerchant.com for advice.

Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2001, 11:52 AM

T, Sorry I didn't ask before?

What 6100 upgrade site?

------------------
Shop smart, shop S-Mart! You got that!!?!!
He can be fixed -- you can't.

Senior User
May 23, 2001, 07:35 PM

Finboy,

here it is: http://www.kan.org/6100/

Quite a gold mine of information. Of course, you probably know most of it already...

Forum Regular
May 29, 2001, 06:33 PM

just get regular (not fpm or edo) it is much cheaper. you get no advantages with the 61xx. check the til for more info.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2001, 06:58 PM

There's lots of good stuff there. Best thing I found out was that NewerRAM is still in business. I thought that they went out of business with NewerTech. Guess not.

I don't keep up with most of the 61/71/81xx machine stuff, because I don't have one (they use SCSI hard drives, and that's the bottleneck -- they're hard to get). But one of these days I'll get an AV model with a G3 upgrade for the right price. I know where there's a 6100AV now, with a NEWERTECH upgrade card (orphan) for $499. Right!

------------------
Shop smart, shop S-Mart! You got that!!?!!

[This message has been edited by finboy (edited 05-29-2001).]
He can be fixed -- you can't.

Senior User
May 30, 2001, 01:55 PM

Finboy,

Save your $499. You can get your setup much more cheaply. Ebay or this place: http://www.users.qwest.net/~jgarbacz/ppc.html will get you your Pizza Box for $35-$50. You can get Newertech G3 upgrades at www.otherworldcomputing.com for just $199. Throw in 2 64mb simms of RAM from www.velocityupgrades.com for $80 and you've got the whole thing for just $329...

------------------
PM 5400/G3 400
Performa 6116CD

Forum Links
Forum Rules