Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Performa 630

Performa 630
Kali
Jan 22, 2001, 05:53 PM

These Questions have nothing to do with the other question I posted.

I have just got hold of an old Apple Performa 630 (with cd) and have a few questions I would like to ask.

I have already had the machine in bits as it was discusting when I got it, any way my questions are:

1/ What is the big white socket next to the ethernet card (with this came with)
2/ What is the graphics adapter and what screen res is it capable of?

3/ Am I right in thinking that this model is capable of using a t.v tuner?

4/ Is there anyway of upgrading the processor curently at MC 68040 LC 33Mhz?

5/ Is the on board sound really only 8 bit mono at 22khz ?

Thanks for any help.

Kali.

SpinyNorman
Jan 22, 2001, 06:49 PM

http://everymac.com/systems/apple/ma...forma_630.html

Any upgrade to this machine will yield an old, slow Mac with a (tiny) speed increase. The TV tuner card is nice, but useless (and expensive, if you can even find one -- worth more than the whole machine).

Kali
Jan 23, 2001, 04:53 PM

Thanx SpinyNorman,

I only posted these questions as to get info about the machine, I know it is well out of date!

I just have a thing about collecting older computer systems (still have a working tandy TRS-80 to name just one)

Dont get me wrong I love the modern stuff as well.

The questions may sound stupid but I have never used an apple computer before, have only had my Imac DV 400 for about 10 months so know nothing about older apple machines.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2001, 07:10 PM

The performa 630CD was the first MAC I ever bought (1994). The white slot (looks like it has a lot of pin inserts) is a PowerPC upgrade slot. Apple offered this computer as "PowerPC Ready" although the sales of their upgrade cards was well. . . not good. There are 2 slots on this computer a COMM slot (far right of the casing, looking at the back) which can fit a modem or an ethernet card, possibly a geoport adapter, but I donno. The larger slot to the left of the COMM is an LCPDS (processor direct) slot, which is useless except for a few nifty upgrdes such as another enthernet card, or a graphics accelerator, or a newer tech upgrade of some kind. You can put a max of 68 MB of ram, thanks to the 4 soldered megs that you can't remove. It should have a 2X CD and a whopping 255MB hard disk. You may be able to find a simm stacker and add more ram. Its a tough little machine, mine still works. It's MC68LC040 (no floating point unit) achieves speeds of 33/66Mhz, which means that it's 33Mhz 040 operation can be 66Mhz with the PPC upgrade. Use it as a firewall or a proxy. Also employ the scsi. As for the TV card, I have one in my second performa (1996) a 6320CD which came with it. It's a nifty card, pretty quick, but only supports 640X480 res and capture is slow. That's a nutshell about that computer. I have a 16MB piece of ram that will fit that machine. Contact me if you want it, we'll work something out.

------------------
Kevin Rock
Kevin Rock

Kali
Jan 24, 2001, 01:37 PM

Cheers Kevin,

I now know alot more about the machine, As I said before its the latest in my hobbie dont intend to use it for much except to look at the past!!

Thanks for the offer of the simm but have loads of left overs from old PC systems (I build them, yes another hobbie)

Kali.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2001, 02:00 PM

Glad that I could be of service. Let me know if you find any interestinf LCPDS upgrades. They are few and far between, but the expansion possabilities are good.

------------------
Kevin Rock
Kevin Rock

Jeff Strong
Jan 28, 2001, 08:30 AM

I too have had a Performa 630 since they came out in 1994! But, I "morphed" mine from 7.5 to 8.6 with a PowerCard 601/100 (with) a 640 board in place of the 630 board, which enable me to get Win95b to run "usably" on a 586dx4/100! I didn't mess with a 64 or 128mb simm, although I (personally) heard of success with the 64 from a couple of different people! Through the years, I went from the 265mb IDE Apple drive, to a Quantum 1.6 gig EIDE drive until I finalized it with a Quantum 10.3 gig EIDE! (I can't remember specifically, but I seem to remember that I found some kind of shareware that allowed me to compare the two, and the newer 10.3 gig drive used significantly LESS power than the 255megger?)

I'm not a C.S. major, but I had to mess with the system folder of 8.6 in order to get it running on a 601/100 PowerCard, just a few weeks after I downloaded it free! Its still up, so you can check here: http://members.aol.com/robertotec/ma...rs/strong.html

I'm on a "year newer" 8500 now, as I found out that there would be now way to get OS 9, or later, working on my 630/640/601/Win95b "morphed" machine! I'm not selling my PowerCard, as it is still working, as of last month, and the highest you can go will be MacOS 8.1, without a PowerCard, which is, in effect, the best of the last for 040 machines, even LC040s?

Before just the 630, I had a Classic, when I bought a Stylewriter II printer for! Just this month, I've went through about 1 whole "ream" of paper on the same Stylewriter that's attached to my current 8500, an entire 8 years later!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2001, 10:10 AM

Just to let you in on a little secret, the 630 backplane supports motherboards from Performa 6200-6400's and PowerMac 6500's. Just slide in the 6200-6300 series board in and it works with no modification! If you want to use a better 6400 or 6500 based board you can but you will have to modify it slightly. Basically you will need to remove the PCI riser card with 2 PCI slots and unscrew the port cover since it is too high. if I remember correctly (last time i did this was 2 years ago) you can just screw in the backplate from the old 630. If you want to use the PCI slots on the 6400-6500 board you need a 1 PCI slot riser card from a 6360 (can be hard to find, but possible).

------------------
---
Outsider's Mac hack page

Richie Daggers Crime
Jan 31, 2001, 09:59 AM

Yes, you can get a TV tuner/Video system for that machine. Ive seen them on eBay for less than $25.

Kali
Jan 31, 2001, 06:48 PM

WOW,

Thanx for all the great replys. I got the performa 630, complete with colour monitor, keyboard and mouse at a local computer show all for the great sum of.....50.00 ! and thought it would be a good machine to 'play' about with, had no idea it has got so many people still using it or owning one. Goes to show good hardware does not die!!

Kali.

Forum Links
Forum Rules