Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6500/250 Still won't boot...

6500/250 Still won't boot...
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2001, 12:25 AM

So my 6500 kept freezing on start up, after removing every component, I removed the battery, and after playing with it for a while, I concluded that the battery was dead. I bought a new one on ebay. I have tested both with my voltmeter and indeed the old one was dying and the new one is working great. Except for the fact that the computer still freezes on start up. I have removed everything and it still does it, which means it pretty much HAS to be either a bad mother board or a bad power supply right? Is there a way I can tell, I don't want to buy one and have it had been the other!

Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2001, 06:28 AM

Try reset the PRAM by pressing cmd + opt + P + R.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2001, 01:12 PM

no that does nothing it even freezes during that, but i knew it wouldn't work i had already hit the button on the motherboard a hundred times.

<Metzen>
Sep 15, 2001, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
<STRONG>no that does nothing it even freezes during that, but i knew it wouldn't work i had already hit the button on the motherboard a hundred times.</STRONG>
Can you boot from the CD?

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2001, 07:38 PM

It freezes at random times right after startup, even with no ram, no cache, no HD, no CD, no floppy, and no cards, i still freezes if you turn it on.

Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2001, 01:35 AM

Those 6400/6500 cases are a piece of work. You have to be really careful when you pull out the core module, and everything is so tightly packed in that unit.... taking it out too often is a risk in itself due to the socket card connection wearing out...

I would worry about the power supply connections to the internal drives and to the motherboard now that you've checked the battery. But I honestly have to warn you that pulling the rest of the case apart might wreck the apparatus on the inside if you're not extremely careful.

Moreover, I hope that you did not try to install OS X on the machine at some point. That's too much of a risk on 603e chips. I also hope that you didn't get a G3 upgrade via the cache slot (which might not adequately support 9.1 or 9.2.1). In both those cases, you may have set up the possibility of screwing up the ROM on the motherboard. And if that's the case, it's not worth it to go looking for a new motherboard and ROM module, just buy another used Performa or, better yet, a beige G3 for the same price as those parts.

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: pathogen ]
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2001, 01:40 AM

i completely extracted the computer from its case when i got it about a year ago, it has been running continuously virtually untouched on system 8.6 since. I have done no mods at all. It jsut froze one day, I rebooted, shortly after it frooze again, it repeated with the duration of runtime getting shorter and shorter each time, until now, right after the startup chime, and often times it doesn't even make it through the whole chime, and it freezs. I specifically need this (6400/6500) for a project so i do need to know which part is faulty and it needs to be replaced.

Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2001, 01:54 AM

<STRONG>shortly after it frooze again, it repeated with the duration of runtime getting shorter and shorter each time, until now, right after the startup chime, and often times it doesn't even make it through the whole chime, and it freezs.</STRONG>
This sounds exactly like the power supply. But the first thing I'd check is that the fans are running, because if it's overheating too quickly, that would cause the freezes as well, and the fan is cheaper to swap out than the whole power supply. But, unfortunately, it does sound like your power supply is damaging things (either helping the overheating or not getting enough power out), so try not to turn it on often until you know for sure or have replaced it.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2001, 10:02 AM

<STRONG>It freezes at random times right after startup, even with no ram, no cache, no HD, no CD, no floppy, and no cards, i still freezes if you turn it on.</STRONG>
You can't boot a Macintosh without RAM. There is no onboard memory in a 6500, so don't pull out the RAM when testing.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2001, 08:21 PM

all the fans are running, but it happens even when the computer is cold, like literally cold to the touch, you start it up, and it freezes...
As for the RAM, it does the same thing weather i use none, all, or some of my RAM. i have two 32MB DIMMs in it. Even with no ram, it still would boot with some sort of question mark or something right?

Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2001, 10:07 PM

I am surprised no one mention that extension conflictt may be a problem during your "freeze" problem.......

Try this...............

Start your computor up with extensions off (shift key pressed).....

If it starts up you have an extension conflict......

1.Go to your extension manager control panel & select 8.x/9.x (Base or All), then restart.....

2 If it restarts that means that your ext & cont pnl from 8.x/9.x are ok, but you have a conflict with your 3rd party ext or cont pnl.....

3. Go to your ext mgr again & from the menu bar, select duplicate & rename your new set (my test set ?) & press ok.....Add ten items at a time and then restart. (Keep a log of what you have added).

4. When you get to the point where adding ten more items causes the problem to occur again, you have narrowed down your problem. With the last ten items you added, one of them is the culprit..

5. Deselect two or three items from the last list of ten and restart. If your problem goes away, one item from the last group is your problem.....

GOODLUCK.......
bigbiker

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2001, 10:10 PM

Hmm maybe the reason no one mentioned an extension conflict is because everyone else read that I am starting up the computer with NO DISK whatsoever. It still freezes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules