Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Connecting with System 7.5

Connecting with System 7.5
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2001, 03:48 AM

I converted to the Mac when it was System 8.6. From system 8 to X, I can do pretty much any troubleshooting I need to. However, I'm not real familiar with 7.5. the trouble I'm in right now is, I have a couple of these older machines that I'm in the process of troubleshooting for a couple of clients, and I'm pulling my hair out trying to get them online.

One was working perfectly fine, until the lady that owns it booted off the CD. Now it no longer connects, saying that it needs Open Transport. The second machine has not been able to get online since the current owner acquired it.

Both machines have PPP control panel installed. Is Open Transport part of a custom install? Does it have to be downloaded? Or am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks in advance.

Forum Regular
May 21, 2001, 06:43 AM

Open Transport requires System 7.5.3, do not work with 7.5, you need MacTCP or FreePPP instead.

Clinically Insane
May 21, 2001, 08:12 AM

I also recommend you update to at least 7.5.5 (7.5.3 rev b) or better yet, 7.6.1 which is VERY stable and fast...

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: cipher13@mac.com

Hobbes  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2001, 09:32 AM

My apologies. Actually 7.5.3 is what both of them have. Didn't realize .3 would make that much difference.

But you already helped. Once of them has MacPPP and FreePPP, so I guess I just have to figure out why its not working correctly.

Thanks

Hobbes  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2001, 02:18 PM

Thanks again for the help. I just back from a service call on one of the computers. Was able to get it running with minimal headache.

Thanks again.

the grouch
May 22, 2001, 03:43 AM

If you must run a 7.5x variant, 7.5.3 is definitely the way to go. The most stable of a bad lot

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You don't have to be faster than the grizzly bear...just faster than the man running next to you."

ozkar777@hotmail.com

Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 07:16 PM

If you have a copy of 7.6.1, definitely upgrade to it. However, it probably isn't worth it to buy a copy, since any computer that can't run it is probably too old to be very useful anymore. Insted, save your money for a new iMac.
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

etphonehome03@yahoo.com

Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 05:49 PM

Dear Hobbes,

They are right, I had the same problem, And another problem (Network card was not seen), I installed Mac OS 7.6.1 and the Network card was detected and OT works.. By the way, Mac OS 7.6.1 has morw a look of OS 8! It has a Appletalk & TCP/IP Controlpanel in place of Network & MacTCP!

Greetings,

Kasper Schoonman (NL)

Forum Links
Forum Rules