Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quadra start up sound

Quadra start up sound
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2001, 05:30 PM

pardon me, but its been a long time since ive heard a PowerPC start up.

is it the same as a quadra?
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2001, 10:28 PM

The original Quadra startup sound is my favorite one of all. Here's a sample of it.

The current startup sound hasn't changed since the introduction of the PCI-based PowerMac. Here's a sample of it.

The prize for the best "crash" sound definitely goes to the Centris/Quadra AV series (660AV and 840AV). Here's a sample of it.

Senior User
Sep 24, 2001, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by King Chung Huang:
<STRONG>The prize for the best "crash" sound definitely goes to the Centris/Quadra AV series (660AV and 840AV). Here's a sample of it.</STRONG>
wtf, for real dogg? that might be the coolest noise i've ever heard

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2001, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by superlarry:
<STRONG>
wtf, for real dogg? that might be the coolest noise i've ever heard</STRONG>
Yup, it's for real. Just start up a Centris/Quadra 660AV or 840AV, and immediately press the programmer's button. This will cause the machine to crash, producing that sound.

There's some other good "crash" sounds on the older Macs. For example, here's the crash sound for the Power Macintosh Upgrade Card.

Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2001, 09:24 AM

Can you post all those sounds in a .sit file for download? I still think the absolute TOP sound as far as heart attack inducing goes is the Car Crash Failure noise! That is 100% Guaranteed to give any lab tech a heart attack in no time!

Mac Guru
"The young people of America need be taught that the only pride they may properly hold is in the content of their character, and the achievements they make. There is no legitimate pride or moral credit to be gained by virtue of sharing the same race with a great and admirable individual. "

My Website

Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2001, 11:28 PM

Thanks King Chung Huang, that was worth the wait.

If you've got more of those, I'd love to hear 'em.
They bring back good memories and new laughs.
I had a P-476 that I put a full -040 in and hooked up to my stereo(the first of many hardware hacks).
The first time I started it, I jumped a foot.

Zack

Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2001, 12:15 AM

I got the startup and crash sounds from David Schaub's "Apple Startup + Crash Sounds". It is currently hosted at http://www.tcp.com/~dschaub/sound.html. You can visit that page to get the entire package.

Certainly does bring back some good memories.

Forum Links
Forum Rules