Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > old CD rom doesnt read new cds?

old CD rom doesnt read new cds?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2001, 06:22 AM
after no use of cd rom for years,I just got an old CD rom for my old quadra 605,am unable read macworld cds,is that true of all mac magazine cds, they only work on Power Macs?
Sep 19, 2001, 04:02 PM
One thing to try is to clean the player. Get one of those cleaning CDs. I was having problems reading CDs in my old PowerCenter and after a couple of passes with the cleaning CD, it read them just fine.
As strange as it may seem, there are cases where older drives simply cannot read particular colored discs. Try as I might, I could never get my clone to read blue discs. I have no idea why.
jazzbo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2001, 05:45 PM
It reads my old cds not recent macworld,

theyr ALL colored?
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2001, 12:01 PM
The colors don't reflect as much of the spectrum, or as easily, as the lighter CDs, so some older drives won't recognize these CDs. My suggestion -- get an old Apple 2x CD ROM external or internal (300e or 600e or earlier). Those old Sony drives have extremely powerful lasers, and I've never found anything that they wouldn't read.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: finboy ]
He can be fixed -- you can't.
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2001, 04:16 PM
Is your CD-ROM drive an Apple-brand drive? If so, you probably should get another one. If it isn't, then you should probably get an Apple drive. I have 5 computers in my house with Apple 2x CD-ROM drives, and I've never had a problem with any of them.
<font color = blue>"Thank god for adequacy.</font> <font color = green>It gives people who </font><font color = red>suck </font><font color = green>something to strive for."</font>

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2001, 12:47 AM
Yup. I've got an old Apple 300i CD-ROM drive (2x) in my PowerTower Pro 225, and it can still read everything that I throw at it.
Forum Links
Forum Rules