Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 8.1 and @Home Internet support

OS 8.1 and @Home Internet support
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2001, 03:43 PM

Excite@Home says they won't support OS 8.1, so I've got a high speed connection that can't be used on my 6400. Anyone know how to configure the OS 8.1 with this cable ISP? They say I have to upgrade to 8.6 at a minimum. If that's the case, what's involved in upgrading my OS, cost, etc? Any recommended upgrades I should get--8.6, 9.0, etc? I have the Performa 6400/200 with 132Mgs Ram, otherwise the remainder of the system is stock. Thanks for any help.

<iNub_too lazy to log in>
Oct 18, 2001, 12:08 PM

If you want to use 8.1 with @home, just ask for static. It's pretty simple to set up after that.

Your DNS will be the same as your other computer (assuming you have one), your router will be number 1 in your IP range, your domain will be all the information after your account number in your address. They can give you all the information you need, just call them and say, "I have a Mac and I'd like to run static. Can you give me the numbers?" It worked for me when I had 8.1.

Hope this helps.

Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2001, 03:38 AM

Tell them your system REQUIRES a static IP.
Otherwise, do what I did - resolve your client ID+the server IP address and get your IP address. Or use a utility to get your IP addy... and enter the data manually.

Your system will run fine with 8.6 though... I'd even recommend it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules