Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Macintosh 128k

Macintosh 128k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 1999, 05:14 AM

I`m about to buy an original Macintosh, introduced in 1984. Have anybody any idea, how much is enough, too much or way too much?
Altough I`m ready to pay alot, I`m not willing to get ripped off. So all you nice gurus help me, please. Help!

Nov 19, 1999, 11:42 AM

A working Mac Model 100 ( 128k) with keyboard , a system disk and the MacPaint/ Macwrite disks is only worth about $ 25.00 tops. No kidding. Has more collector value, but not as a computer...more as an antique.
Some folks even give them away.....

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 1999, 03:33 PM

tomppu,

your idea is very interesting.

In these days, if your are not just a collector, you should at least have a second floppy drive (exzternally attached, of course). Otherwise you will have to swap system (or application) disk and data disk every time you want to save anything.

Remember the 128k had 400k floppies as far as I remember. So for any work to be done, you should have some of these too (maybe you can use 800k floppies, just formatted as single sided).

Good luck and let us know what you decided.

Walter.

------------------

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 1999, 03:39 PM

I bought a keyboarless, mouseless, 512k at salvation army for way too much money. It did have a second floppy, and no sysyem disks. I didn't know exactly what model it was, or how old, or what it was or was not capable of. It was just so damn cute I couldnt let it sit and rot there. After much searching I finally found a keyboard and mouse at my user group annual flea market, and my roomate who used to work at a copy center way back when had old system disks kicking around.

I was able to download software from certain sites that don't seem to be around anymore.

Like I said, I paid way to much for this little critter, and you know what. I don't regret a penny of it

Spauldingg
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

Dec 6, 1999, 03:41 AM

Where did those fifteen years go??

Since my first Mac wasn't much more powerful than the 128k, I remember the quaint experiences you must be having with it.

Be advised that the display on that Mac has a limited life, much more limited than even the cheapest color VGA monitor you can buy today; so enjoy it while you can.

Unless you want to invest in spare components to keep it going into the milennium, you can always convert it into a mini-aquarium . . .

Mac evangelist since 1986

Dec 11, 1999, 11:15 PM

as told in MacWorld Mac Secrets, 5th edtion, the price value for a Macintosh 128k and 512k is $0

Forum Links
Forum Rules