Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Finder moves on 68k Mac

Finder moves on 68k Mac
GerMarc
Nov 13, 1999, 01:02 PM

A strange thing happens on my old Performa 630(8.0.): The finder moves without touching it a few cm to the left or down. Resetting the finder preferences doesn't help. What's that? A bug? A virus?
Thanks in advance

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 1999, 10:13 PM

Do you mean the whole finder window, the toolbar...?

If it is the whole screen it could be your monitor is going bad. Try changing monitors temporarily if that's the case.

Have you tried a clean install of the system?

drewman

GerMarc
Nov 13, 1999, 10:23 PM

Sorry for being unprecise, in fact the cursor is moving.

I've had that problem 6 month ago, I tried a clean install of the system and the phenomena was fixed.

Now, 2 days ago, the cursor started to move again. It's not about the mouse. It's like voodoo. F.e., I'm scrolling, keeping my eyex on the main window. Suddenly, I can't scroll anymore, the cursor went 5 cm to the left. I put the cursor to a significant point, wait, and after a few minutes, it does it again.

That's strange, isn't it?

Ster
Nov 13, 1999, 11:45 PM

hi,
WIERD!!! that's about the oddest thing i've EVER heard of a mac doing! have you scanned for viruses? that's the only thing i can think of that would do that. or else, someone slipped a practical joke into your extensions folder...
good luck,
ster

GerMarc
Nov 14, 1999, 12:01 AM

Yes, I've scanned for virusses whith disinfectant but - no trouble found.

I've also deleted the finder prefs. I even removed this little shareware application called "wrapscreen" (for being a potential troublemaker).

Nothing helped. The cursor keeps on moving. Strange.

WickedDyno
Nov 14, 1999, 08:19 PM

Maybe your mouse is wierd. Borrow one from someone else and see if the same thing happens.

------------------
Gravity is the enemy.

Admin Emeritus
Nov 18, 1999, 04:18 AM

You wouldn't happen to have a Gravis Gamepad (ADB) connected? Its driver software sometimes makes it do that. I never found a definite cure, I'm sad to say.

tooki

GerMarc
Nov 19, 1999, 02:26 PM

No, the Gravis Gamepad is not connected.
Can I be sure it's not a virus due to the fact that none of you said it was? I think so.

I had little shareware programs like WrapScreen or Mouse2 installed. I removed them all. Still happening. It's not a serious problem but annoying.

Dec 6, 1999, 03:56 AM

For the sake of experimentation:

--Unplug the mouse and restart the Performa with extensions off (shift key). Since a reboot naturally positions the pointer in the area of the Apple Menu, don't do anything but note the appearance of the "problem".

--If the strange behavior happens under these conditions, I'd suspect it's a hardware problem that has to do with the computer's warming up. See if anything odd happens just by "hot-plugging" the mouse back in.

--it also occurs to me that your keyboard could be responsible if it has some funny circuitry problem; see what happens if you boot up with all the ADB devices unplugged.
Mac evangelist since 1986

Forum Links
Forum Rules