Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9500 Won't boot

9500 Won't boot
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2001, 12:19 PM

I have a PowerMac 9500/200 that when you push the power button, there is no start-up *bong*, but the fan, LED and Hard Drive start up, however there is no video out and the OS doesn't sound like it's loading.

I've tested each memory stick individualy, and still no start-up sound, which I find troubling.

Any ideas?

Elvin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2001, 12:23 PM

I've also reset the Cuda button, reset the PRAM (removed the battery for 10 min), and even started the computer with all RAM removed and still no boot up tone.

Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2001, 01:26 PM

I had a problem like yours and a new battery solved the problem........
bigbiker

Elvin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2001, 04:49 PM

Tested the battery and it tests fine

Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2001, 08:11 AM

Try reaseating the processor card a couple of times.
Then, with the 9500 unplugged, press and hold the power button for a second or two. Then do the same to the CUDA switch.
You said you tested the battery - what was its voltage?

Elvin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2001, 09:28 AM

3.6v. No problems there. Already did the Cuda button reset, removed everything from the motherboard and tried a new video card. It must be the customer's motherboard itself, which is unfortunate, since he just bought a new one.

Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 08:14 AM

Sorry if I sounded patronizing, sounds like you have a grasp on things.
Check all your connectors for any anomalies(oxidation/bent). Clean the contacts, insert/extract several times, then check for friction marks on the pin/contact.
Look over the MoBo for a SMT fuse that might be blown. I'm sure there's at least one on the MoBo, tho I've never looked for one on my 8500.
Try all the internal parts you can in a "working" machine, especially the processor card.
Try another power supply. Apple's have data(?) lines to/from the P/S in addition to power out.

If all else fails, try waving a rubber chicken over it. Make up a good witch doctor chant.

Zack

Elvin  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2001, 10:56 AM

Lol, thanks a lot for your help zac4mac! I'm the newbie Mac Tech here at work, and no one seemed to be able to help me here. This was my quickest, widest and largest source for support. Unfortunatly I couldn't find the problem, so I had to return the computer. Customer installed the motherboard after buying it on eBay, so who knows who's fault it was.

Anyway, thanks George Orville and zac4mac, I'll probably be back in the future numerous time again with other problems

Forum Links
Forum Rules