Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Performa 6200CD won't start up

Performa 6200CD won't start up
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2001, 08:10 PM

Help! My 4 year old daughter uses and old Performa 6200CD to play her games on, and one day, it started up with its usual tone, heard the drive working, then got another tone, sort of ominous sounding actually, and the screen goes white, and nothing happens, any ideas? I can't seem to get it to boot from a CD (Norton Utilities), so I'm not sure what can be done. Any help would be great, since hers broke, she uses mine all the time! Thanks.
The Atlantic Baseball Club Mariners
12U & 14U Girls Fast Pitch Softball
www.marinerssoftball.com

Oct 24, 2001, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Madison:
<STRONG>Help! My 4 year old daughter uses and old Performa 6200CD to play her games on, and one day, it started up with its usual tone, heard the drive working, then got another tone, sort of ominous sounding actually, and the screen goes white, and nothing happens, any ideas? I can't seem to get it to boot from a CD (Norton Utilities), so I'm not sure what can be done. Any help would be great, since hers broke, she uses mine all the time! Thanks.</STRONG>
Sorry to hear about that. I had a similar problem 3 yrs after I purchased mind. It seems that the 15" Multiscan display had some kind of defect, which was replaced for free. If memory serves me correctly, our Performas do have the lifetime Apple support warranty as part of a settlement to a lawsuit a few years back. Try calling Apple to see what they say.

Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2001, 10:13 AM

I have a Performa 6200CD also, and about a year and a half ago, I went to start it up, and it did something very much like what you described. The bottom line was, it didn't start up, and the screen just stayed gray. This precipitated my buying a new iMac last summer. Ironically, about a week or two later (I had been on vacation), I thought, what the heck, and tried to start it up again, and Voila! it started up just fine.

Maybe yours will do the same thing.

I went ahead and got the iMac anyway, and the 6200 now sits in the closet while I try to figure out what to do with it. The CD-ROM stopped working on it, so I've been considering selling the monitor, Zip drive, keyboard and mouse separately...

Forum Links
Forum Rules