Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 7100 Startup Problem

7100 Startup Problem
voisinj
Nov 21, 1999, 10:49 AM

Bought an old 7100 for the kids a while back so don't have all the original software. Came home last night and tried to boot. No ding, no monitor, no sadmac. I can hear the fan turning and hard disk seeking. Pretty sure its not a burned video card because the frozen mac won't reset.

Anyone out there got an extra copy of a bootable floppy of either apple disk fix or norton utilities? I'll gladly pay postage.

Any other suggestions?

Junior

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 1999, 09:35 AM

sounds to me like a much more serious problem. if you hear no ding, that almost always means ROM damage. ROM damage means what you now have is a box with some RAM, a soldered CPU, and an HD.
;-) MacOpz

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 1999, 10:17 PM

Make sure that you all the cards are seated properly inside the machine and replace the backup battery.

Also, make sure that there is some RAM plugged in and in the right slots (i.e. odd numbers of SIMMs almost never work).

Good luck!

drewman

Admin Emeritus
Dec 3, 1999, 12:29 AM

I agree, try replacing the battery before trying anything else. When you do that, unplug the machine, remove the power supply cable to the motherboard (bundle of colored wires with a large plug), and then remove the battery. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then replace the cable, then insert the new battery, and lastly plug the computer back in.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules