Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > MacOS 9 and clones

MacOS 9 and clones
danne
Nov 25, 1999, 05:57 PM

Anybody had any experience running Mac os 9 on a PCC clone yet?!? Any problems??

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 1999, 03:15 AM

Well, i will be trying it out on my c500 in a few days, so i will give you the results then.

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

Terry Price
Nov 28, 1999, 07:33 PM

I am using it on a Starmax 4000/200 with very few problems.

Go for it

terry

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 1999, 08:45 PM

Have installed on a Umax Apus (c500 in Europe) and a Pulsar(S900). Works really well. Just one thing of note. OS 9 seems to be very particular about SCSI configurations. I was having a lot of address and bus errors and track the problem to a CD-Rom player that I install in the C500 last year. Turns out the the CD-Rom was not terminated--I misinterpeted the label; Terminate Short Off as meaning that the default state is terminated. Now a week s gone by without such errors. Guess I've been here in Germany too long.

Kevin
when in rome expect to see romans!

MSylvester
Nov 29, 1999, 02:26 AM

I'm using OS 9 on a PowerCenter 150, which has been upgraded with a MaxPowr G3, and it seems to be working great. So far (about a week) not a single crash. Had some problems with the Multiple Users, but I was just playing with since I don't need it. Once I turned it Multiple Users off it has been rock solid.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 1999, 09:57 AM

I am using it on a Starmax 5000/200. The only issue that you need to e aware of with this model is that the CDrom toolkit and ethernet card drivers need to be manually installed.

The cdrom will work for booting of the OS 9 cd, but it will not mount cd roms when booting off of the hard disk, not even the os 9 cd.

Dec 6, 1999, 02:30 AM

I am still using a StarMax 500/300, and added NewerTech's 300MHz G3 cache slot card before putting OS9 on one of my partitions. While I haven't completed my migration to OS9, when I do boot to it it's quite stable and fast, but I attribute this to the G3 upgrade.

I'm quite certain Apple designed OS9 for G3s and G4s only; I'd stick to 8.6 unless I had a 400MHz or faster 604 chip in my clone. Anybody out there with a 603e like me will see a very noticeable speed improvement when you invest in a (now very reasonably priced) G3 upgrade and memory expansion past 64MB; I did it 'cause I don't expect to get my G4 till next spring.

Can't wait to have a real Mac once again!!

schwei

(past owner of: 512K Enhanced
Mac SE
Quadra 650)

Mac evangelist since 1986

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 1999, 04:54 PM

If one checks FWB software's web site, one reads that people occasionally have clones with difficulties with the CD-ROM drives after installing 9. On those you way have to downgrade your system. Other times it works without a hitch. Of course, anything after 8.1 is unsupported by apple, but we take the plunge anyway, right?

-Pasha
(Owner of plus, classic II, PB 165c, PB520PPC, pb1400, Qudara 840av, PM7100, PM8500, PM9600, plus assorted frankenstein Macs)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 1999, 02:43 AM

Well, i have been splitting time between OSX DP2 and OS9.

as for OSX: i am very impressed, Apple has made incredible progress, and the speed gain is immense. I can't wait to see the Golden Master.

OS9: faster, stabler, and, for the most part, trouble free

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

Forum Links
Forum Rules