Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Macintosh TV

Macintosh TV
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 1999, 09:21 PM

Does anyone else besides me have an old Macintosh TV? (Or even know what it is?) I'm wondering about whether I can install an internal modem in it. (It'd be too easy to look in the manual.)
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Raven
Dec 5, 1999, 03:49 PM

I have a MacTV too. Sorry, no place to install an internal modem.
I probably could have used it for another year if the max RAM was more than 8 megs.
It's being used more as a TV than a Mac these days. That, and the worlds largest floppy drive for my iMac

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 1999, 05:27 PM

You both could make a bundle (more than enough to get a regular floppy drive) if you sold those as collectors' items, I'll bet.

KeithB
Dec 5, 1999, 06:23 PM

Gregg, I see your question has been answered, but I just had to reply so that the only 3 owners of the MacTV would all be represented here

My MacTV is still working hard for my sister in college (having been passed through my other 2 sisters already). None of them ever even knew it had the TV function. It was still a neat idea...maybe it will be resurrected in a future iMac.

dlawson
Dec 5, 1999, 09:15 PM

Make that four owners...heh heh.

As noted, there isn't any room for expansion inside the Mac TV. The television circuitry takes up the one expansion slot that all of the other models with this form factor (e.g Performa 550, LC 580...) had.

As for the Mac TV's value, that may be a bit debatable. From what I've read, Apple made less than 10,000 of them (even less than the 20th Anniversary). I've seen them go on eBay for as much as $600, but http://www.macs4sale.com has them for $229.

Dec 5, 1999, 10:28 PM

Make that *5*!!! I've got one too...

Mark.

abeatty
Dec 6, 1999, 12:43 AM

Me too! Me too! I've got a Mac TV! Bought the last one from Best Buy...it was the display model. Anyway, there are three for sale on eBay, and they are currently at 200, 400, and 1300 respectively...so, I don't know about the money to be made! :-)

abeatty
Dec 6, 1999, 12:50 AM

Oh, wait...just saw that the 1300 pricetag has no bids...Hee...sorry bout that...

:-)

Brandon
Dec 6, 1999, 02:16 PM

$229 for a MacTV? Heck, even aside from the fact that a black all-in-one Mac is about the keenest idea ever, that's a pretty good price for a TV you can grab stills/video(?) from. And, given the sharpness of a computer monitor--well, you get the idea. :-)

Great to hear from old-school Mac users, said this owner of a Duo 230, IIvx, AND 512ke. ;-)

Professional Poster
Dec 8, 1999, 02:49 PM

THE FOLLOWING ARE REPOSTS, after having been deleted from a second and duplicating thread...
caleach
Junior Member posted 12-05-1999 11:30 PM            
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am number 6, I guess. I tried selling mine a couple of times as a collectors item and got nowhere.
It still funtions as both, but my daughter is using as a TV, not a computer. Maybe we have to wait a few mor years to get any money out of them.
IP: Logged

Gregg
Junior Member posted 12-08-1999 01:44 PM         
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even with System 7.1 it still does everything I need it to do, only slower than my G3. Sure, it won't run some of the new games my son has, but if he takes it to college, he can concentrate on his studies instead, if he doesn't watch too much TV.

Forum Links
Forum Rules