Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > my mouse keeps slowing down...why?

my mouse keeps slowing down...why?
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2001, 01:47 PM

my mouse keeps slowing down> when i turn on my computer, its fine, but at some point during use, it will slow to a crawl, so it takes more than the whole mouse mat to move from one side of the screen to the other> ive tried trowing the use prefs, finder prefs, zapped the pram+rebuilt the desktop, (and checked the mouse cotrol panel>>still set to fast) but nothing changes. will a clean install fix the problem? im on a Power Tower pro/ 250 604e/ 320mb/ 2x2 gb hd/ 9.1 os.

any help greatly appreciated.

chris

Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 05:31 PM

I don't have any first-hand clone experience, but I would try a clean install. It never hurts. I do about one backup/wipe/clean-install/merge/software-reinstall per year, and it helps keep things working well and the HD defragged. You don't have to go to that extent, but a clean install may fix the problem and is otherwise healthy.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2001, 06:54 PM

This is going to sound crazy, but I had a similar experience with my old 8100/80 (if I remember the model number correctly) at work.

Our office was always plagued with static electricity (Colorado is very dry), and if I had been away from my desk and then sat down to my computer and put my hand on the mouse without first touching the metal file cabinet next to my desk, the mouse would do exactly what you describe: Slow down to a crawl so that it took several swipes to get the cursor across the 20" monitor. When I would check the mouse preferences, etc., they would all be fine. A restart would fix the problem.

When I got a new early G4 (350) computer with a MacAlly USB mouse, it still would happen, but I could just unplug the mouse and then plug it back in to fix it. I still had to make sure to always touch the file cabinet before putting my hand on the mouse. Later our MacAlly mice were replaced under warranty, and that was the end of the problem. I still touched the file cabinet every time, though--just out of habit!

I don't know if your situation is the same or not, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth!

Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 08:42 PM

Dang. Double-posts.

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: bluedog ]

Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by bluedog:
<STRONG>I suggest you look for a piece of software that 'resets' your ADB bus.
The symptom is similar to unplugging your mouse and replugging it in while still powered on. IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO DO SO. Apple warns this can damage your computer. In reality I've done it many, many times (albeit carefully and not like an ORC or something)

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...i?id=92&db=mac

There's the link. This can help you.</STRONG>

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2001, 01:34 PM

Just to clarify here: I never suggested unplugging an ADB mouse. I actually restarted the machine to fix the issue. Once I got a machine with USB, it was a different story.

Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Indigo Boy:
<STRONG>Just to clarify here: I never suggested unplugging an ADB mouse. I actually restarted the machine to fix the issue. Once I got a machine with USB, it was a different story.</STRONG>
Sorrrry, didn't mean to imply it was your suggestion. Its just something *I've* done on occasion against all recommendations. Hopefully this software will help though.[/LIST]

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2001, 03:58 PM

Thanks, Bluedog: I'm sorry if I came across in my reply as defensive or churlish. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't leading chris.p astray.

Hopefully he can find a solution that does the trick, because I know how frustrating it is when the mysterious mouse slow-down happens.

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Indigo Boy ]

chris.p  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2001, 04:18 PM

thanks for the replies- ive just tried that adb reseter, and it works a charm! i had actually got used to the mouse slowing down, so now it seems like its twice as zippier as before! still should reinstall the soft ware though&gt;&gt;keep the machine fresh.

thanks again, i know where ill be coming next time ive got a problem with my mac

&lt;&lt;edit&gt;&gt;what is the reason for this, and is there a permanent fix? ti seems to need reseting every 5 mins or so, and im intending to give this machine to my sister in about 6 months, and dispite showing her what to do, i dont think it will click...would a new pram battery work?

&lt;end edit&gt;

chris

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: chris.p ]

Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 08:14 PM

Either your ADB port is bad, or you have a bad mouse (more likely if your keyboard isn't having trouble).

You could try and use a replacement mouse (used on the web or borrowed from a friend). See if this works for you for a while.

chris.p  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2001, 03:01 PM

thanks dude, im borrowing a mouse.

chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules