Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerBase CD Malfunction

PowerBase CD Malfunction
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2001, 05:02 PM

I can't seem to get the bulit-in CD player on my recently purchased, used PowerBase 240 to work. Strangely, I can put boot the computer from a CD. But when I insert a CD into the already booted machine, nothing happens. The CD light flickers briefly then stops and there is no (CD) icon showing on the desktop.

The system profiler says "No mounted media inserted" -- even when a CD is in the player. I'm baffled.

Anyone have thoughts?

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2001, 09:26 AM

I think it's a little surprising that the CD drive lastest this long? Not the answer you're looking for, I'm sure, but PCC CD drives were notorious for failing. The one in my Powercenter worked for just under a year before kicking over. And as it was dying it would sometimes work fine and sometimes show nothing at all. Make sure the CD works in another computer, and try a different drive in your Pbase if you can..
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2001, 04:33 PM

i had a similar problem- its because the power computing series of computers uses 3rd party cd roms (mine is teac). this means you need a driver for the machine to recognise it- when you boot up from the cd, for some reason apples driver seems to work?? I dont know why.
what you can do is start up will the system cd in the drive, (not boot though) and take it out when the machine is powered up, and use another (should work like normal after that)

or get cd rom tookit from www.fwb.com it has the correct extension and control panel-
if you have the original power computing system disk, you could try dragging the extension out from the extesion set that is on the disk, but i dont think it works with anything above os7.61 >> you'll need v3 or v4 of cd rom toolkit for that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules