Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Back to the future

Back to the future
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2001, 12:04 AM

I had ocaission to aquire an ooooooldMac Classic recently. It was a good deal. $30 for the Mac, external HD and 2 printers (dot and jet). But (you had to know there was a but, didn't ya) it's running a french OS. Now, while that's not a problem for me, I bought the dang thing for my 5 year old daughter. Therefore, I need to know several things. First, what's the highest OS I can install? Second, where can I "aquire" it? Third, and possible most important, how can I dl it onto a pc and transfer it to the mac? The pc has SCSI and a cd burner, but will the formats match? Can I dump the file to the external drive from the PC? Can I burn it to a cd in a format that's readable by the mac?

Here's yer chance to make a convert, folks.
Ok, it's broke ... now what?

Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2001, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by Professur:
<STRONG>I had ocaission to aquire an ooooooldMac Classic recently. It was a good deal. $30 for the Mac, external HD and 2 printers (dot and jet). But (you had to know there was a but, didn't ya) it's running a french OS. Now, while that's not a problem for me, I bought the dang thing for my 5 year old daughter. Therefore, I need to know several things. First, what's the highest OS I can install? Second, where can I "aquire" it? Third, and possible most important, how can I dl it onto a pc and transfer it to the mac? The pc has SCSI and a cd burner, but will the formats match? Can I dump the file to the external drive from the PC? Can I burn it to a cd in a format that's readable by the mac?

Here's yer chance to make a convert, folks.</STRONG>
ftp://ftp.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English-North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/

That link is where you can download all the freely available OS versions. I recommend 7.5.3 if your Classic can handle it. However, it's possible that the thing is too old and won't have enough RAM, or that it will be really slow. If either of these is the case, you can go with 7.0.1 (although that version tends to be rather buggy) or the greatest OS in the world, System 6! 6.0.8 would probably run the best on your old Classic. However, you might have trouble running apps on it, since a lot require 7. If you do a search on the internet for System 6 you should be able to find old stuff that will run on it though. I specifically remember a site called "System 6 Heaven" that had a lot of stuff on it.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Senior User
Nov 16, 2001, 09:55 AM

system 7.5.x was way too much for my mac IIsi.. in fact i don't comprehend people who could stand the slowness and all the time waiting. i recommend 7.0.1 for functionality, although some programs like AOL require 7.1.
the fastest option will be system 6, and if you can find the software you're looking for for your daughter for it, then i say go for this.
system 6 was written in the processor's assembly language, as opposed to system 7.x.x+ being written in C, making it more efficient and slower. this is a major explanation for speed difference.
most of all have fun with it :c)

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2001, 11:51 PM

Transferring files from the PC to the Classic is easy, all you need is System 7 and PC Exchange. Put the files on a PC formatted floppy, then take it over to the Mac. Viola! Since the Classic has a 'SuperDrive' it will be able to read the disks fine (But only if you have PC Exchange)
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual

Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2001, 12:51 AM

CAREFUL!!! 7.1 can not read PC disks. So, obtain a copy of the PC control panel, and put it on a Mac formatted disk. Then install 7.1, and put the PC control panel in the system folder. then you can read PC disks.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules