Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > system 7.5.5

system 7.5.5
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 1999, 11:46 PM

I have this system running on an old Mac IIcx, and I have just gotten it to connect to the server I use. I have 20MB of ram on it and the OS is hogging 15-16Megs of it so I can run anything else (Netscape 3.01). This seems like a lot of ram for this system, is this normal? I won't bother with ram doubler because the cx uses a 16Mhz processor, I need raw ram. I would rather not spend more money on this old baby, but I have brought it this far and would hate to give up on it. So, is there anything I can do so the OS uses less ram?

Seagull
Dec 20, 1999, 09:15 AM

I am not so sure that you should avoid using RAM Doubler 8. Not long ago, I used a Macintosh IIx (68030 @16MHz) which had only 4MB of real RAM so I used RAM Doulber 8. The speed was not decreased at all and that's one good point about RAM Doubler. Another good point is that RAM Doubler seems like it does not taking up hard disk space the way virtual memory in the Memory control panel does.
As to the amount of memory System 7.5.5 takes, I think 16MB is too much. One thing you could do is to take extensions and control panels that you don't need out of their folders.

Kocher
Dec 20, 1999, 01:40 PM

"So, is there anything I can do so the OS uses less ram?"
There are lots of things you can do. Turn on Virtual memory to 1MB above normal (21MB in your case), Turn the Disk Cache to a low number, go needless extention hunting (as i like to call it). Turning off file sharing and Appletalk seem to free up a lot of space.
Good luck.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 1999, 12:11 AM

This is a freshly installed system, there really aren't any programs running on it except the Netscape and Eduora 3.xxx. I am saying that it doesn't have an extentions jungle, nor do I intend it to have. I turned of file sharing and I still have 16MB going to the OS. As far as the VM is concerned, that was my initial thought, but there doesn't seem to be an option where I can change the amount of VM, infact, I only have the option to turn it on or off. That's not right. Any more help, please.

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 1999, 01:44 AM

You need an extension called Mode32. You are running in 24 bit mode which only allows you to access 8MB of RAM (the OS automatically claims all RAM in excess of 8MB in this case). The CX doesn't have a 32 bit clean ROM, so the ability to switch to 32 bit mode doesn't show up in the Memory control panel. With this extension installed, you will have that option. Turn it on, reboot, and suddenly the system will drop down to a more respectable 1-2MB of usage. Mode32 is available all over the net and is free.

BTW, this bit of code was created by Connectix after Apple said publicly that it couldn't be done.

drewman

Seagull
Dec 21, 1999, 09:10 AM

Good point about the ROM not 32-bit clean drewman. I checked at www.everymac.com and the ROM indeed is not 32-bit clean. If the ROM is not 32-bit clean, any memory more than 8MB is not recognised. But my experience is that System 7.5.5 on a Mac similar to the IICX should only take less than 4MB of RAM. Anyway, because the IICX has limited processing power, if slider wants to browse the web, I would recommend Netscape Navigator 2.22 rather than newer versions.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 1999, 11:58 AM

Hey thats for the info on the mode 32. I infact have it, the reason I didn't install it was because I saw that the system did infact see and use more that 8 megs. My understanding was that system 7 required mode 32 and after I saw that the OS was using 16MB then I assumed that system 7.5.5 had addressed that issue. So what you're telling me is that it has not and that I still need to install it, right? The Mac IIcx is really too old to really surf the web, it has been more of a side project so that I could learn a little. I also have peolpe who have not as old but old systems that just can't afford newer machines, so if I can get this on the web I think I should be able to get anyhting over this on. I will be starting with Netscape 4.05, found out that this was the last 68k version that could be used under 7.5.5. So you're sure about mode 32?

slider

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 1999, 01:34 AM

Trust me, it'll work. It always has for me. The memory can be seen by the system, but in 24 bit addressing mode can't access it.

drewman

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 1999, 08:10 PM

Thanks again drewman, I think you helped me out before with another issue. The OS dropped down to 4MB. Another problem I seem to be having is no matter what browers I try to use I get an error message that says it can't create a socket connection. Any ideas on that? Also, my perferences are not save (another error message).

slider

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 1999, 10:01 PM

What are you using for your dialup. Also, make sure to open up Apple Extras and switch over to Open Transport from Classic networking which will help.

What preferences won't save?

drewman

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 1999, 12:36 AM

I am using OT, 1.1.2 to be exact along with OT/PPP. This is what Apple called the "Legacy 2000". As far as what I am using for a dial-up, I am not sure what you mean. I use a isp (empire.net) ppp?.

Seagull
Dec 23, 1999, 02:30 AM

When it comes to dial-up software, I think FreePPP 2.6.2 is the most easy to use and it is better than OT/PPP. You need to have either MacTCP or Open Transport installed to use FreePPP of course.

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 1999, 06:50 PM

Do you have Open Transport PPP (OT/PPP) installed? Where do you enter the phone number for your ISP at now? Make sure your TCP/IP settings indicate to dial up by PPP and not MacIP or something else. As mentioned above, FreePPP works well too (www.rockstar.com).

drewman

[This message has been edited by drewman (edited 12-23-1999).]

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 1999, 08:13 AM

Yes, I have OT/PPP installed. The window looks much like the window on the current Remote access and I enter the number it the same way. I should mention that I can connect to my isp, I just get that message (mentioned before) when I use the browser. I'll check out that TCP settings and get back to you. I have tried FreePPP in the past, but had some problems with it, however that was before I wiped the HD and did a clean install of the OS. I might try it again it things aren't working out with OT/PPP.

Seagull
Dec 24, 1999, 10:25 AM

I think a possible reason why you have the message that the browser cannot create a socket connection could be that you have not enter the domain name server numbers into the TCP/IP control panel.

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 1999, 06:20 PM

Setup a more current Mac they same way as the IIcx and see if it can connect. If not, then mess with it on the faster Mac until it does work. Transfer this knowledge to the IIcx. You will get a lot less frustrated that way, believe me.

drewman

Forum Links
Forum Rules