Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help making coasters...I mean not!!!

Help making coasters...I mean not!!!
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2001, 09:43 PM

Can anyone suggest some things to try. I have a powerpc 7300./180/ 104 ram. ricoh mp6200s burner toast 4.0.I have my vm truned off, running minimal extentions.Sometimes the cd will show up sometimes not. I can do a simulation ok usually but the burn usually ends in error.Biggest question is termination, I have it installed internally at present or an old scuzy drive without termination on.Either way it doesn't want to work because it is essentially a pc burner with mac firmware and it has worked in the past.
Any ideas.....

Clinically Insane
Nov 25, 2001, 02:04 AM

Firstly, you have to terminate the thing...

Then, increase the Toast RAM Cache and Toasts memory allocation. Burn at lower speeds if it coasters or drains the buffer (Buffer Underrun).

Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2001, 04:53 PM

With the HD speed of that old girl I think 4X burns will be your max. Also I found when burning audio CDs on the iMac that it needed an even lower speed (2x) while data CDs can be burned at higher speeds.

Ciphs right, terminate the SCSI corrently, feed Toast all the RAM you can, and burn at the lowest tolerabe speeds. Plus, maybe the blanks you bought are sh!tty to.....course I've never really used a crappy blank (all of them are really the same) you may have some lemons.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2001, 07:35 PM

Thanks I read into zoom's replys below and it reminded me of CD Speed tools...great program.I have more time than money so I always burn at the lowest settings.Now I am back in business. Thanks

Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2001, 07:36 PM

I always have lots of trouble with my 6400 and an external SCSI burner (Panasonic 7502, I think) but I'm not sure if I have it terminated. Where do I get one of those terminators? Or, to be more exact, where can I get one for almost nothing?

Also, I was thinking of installing linux on the machine to regain some speed. cdrecord supposedly supports my burner. Will that burn correctly? Thanks.

Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2001, 02:00 AM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
<STRONG>I always have lots of trouble with my 6400 and an external SCSI burner (Panasonic 7502, I think) but I'm not sure if I have it terminated. Where do I get one of those terminators? Or, to be more exact, where can I get one for almost nothing?

Also, I was thinking of installing linux on the machine to regain some speed. cdrecord supposedly supports my burner. Will that burn correctly? Thanks.</STRONG>
Re. Linux, make sure the version you get has Mac drivers - remember, you're not running an ordinary version of Linux. Same deal with the app you use.

As for your termination issue, the burner (whether internal or external), probably has a terminator built in. If not, does it have multiple ports on the back? (if it's external, that is).

It just depends really. Tell us about the burner (port wise, etc - internal/external?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules