Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Ethernet not being reconized? Any ideas?

Ethernet not being reconized? Any ideas?
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2001, 02:20 PM

I could use a little help if anyone has got the time. I am hooking up a friends 9600/300 power mac with dsl. Apon installing all the proper software from the ISP I relized that the computer is not reconizing the ethernet. What I mean by this is that in the TCP/IP window there is no ethernet setting. I do not understand this because it comes with a factory ethernet card. Is there some kind of driver or some setting that could be wrong. It also does not appear in the apple talk window. The computer is running 8.6. I know, I tried to get him to upgrade but he won't because of past conflicts that were encountered when he tried to install 9.0 a while ago. Thanks for you help. A baffaled Mac user...

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: otis52 ]
I wanted to be a artist but I became a graphic designer...
[url]http://c1g.net[url]

Mac Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2001, 05:48 PM

There is an ethernet driver that has to be installed even on factory Macs. Make sure that it isn't disabled first. If it's not there at all (the extension has the word ethernet in it), then do a custom install and only install Networking from 8.6 which should install the proper driver.

Andrew

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2001, 11:13 PM

Yeah.. the previous post is right.. Check to make sure Apple/Ethernet is checked in the extension manager. Or you can change the selected set to Mac OS 8.6 ALL.

Make sure appletalk is set to ethernet as well. Then reboot.

Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2001, 11:55 PM

Try rebooting with all extensions on( in the extensions manager)

otis52  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2001, 01:44 AM

Thanks for your help all going to give it a try first thing tomorrow.
I wanted to be a artist but I became a graphic designer...
[url]http://c1g.net[url]

Forum Links
Forum Rules