Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > DVD-ROM on an older PMac...

DVD-ROM on an older PMac...
noseman
Dec 27, 1999, 07:50 AM

Hi there.
Here's my question:
Some friend replaced his CD-ROM with a DVD-ROM. He has a performa 4400.
Although the DVD works properly with normal CD's and recognizes the DVD disks, when he runs Apple DVD Player, he gets a message that says something like this: "another application is using the sound manager...etc." and the program closes.
He has tried macOS 8.5, 8.6 and MacOS 9 but nada. He also has a VooDoo 2 3000 installed that works fine.
Any ideas? Thx a lot!

Kocher
Dec 27, 1999, 01:05 PM

Operating system wont matter. What your friend needs is a DVD decoder PCI card. He can't play movies through the SCSI port- you need a card to handle video decoding and audio as well. They run for about 200-300 bucks, and make sure that the card is compatible with your specific drive. Good luck.

noseman
Dec 28, 1999, 08:23 AM

Thanx for the reply.
But the stroy goes on. My friend found a software that's called "Soft DVD" that plays DVD via ...guess what... Software. (ahem)
This SW is still in beta version and when he runs it he sees the first frame of the DVD and then...caput.. has anyone heard of any similar SW solution?
BTW he thinks that the iMac DV uses a SW based solution.
Does the ATI card in the iMac decode DVD or not?
Thank you!

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 1999, 01:23 AM

The iMac DV uses software-based decoding. and it's the best SW-decoding i have ever seen, BTW

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 1999, 01:51 PM

Apple's DVD player is a software only solution - but it only works with IDE DVD ROM drives and I think they have to be Apple OEM drives to assure compatability.

So, if the DVD-ROM drive in your friend's system is SCSI, it won't work with Apple's Player.

The third party solution sounds buggy - complain to them.

drewman

Forum Links
Forum Rules