Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PPC 80/8100 ethernet connection

PPC 80/8100 ethernet connection
Tony DeCicco
Jan 10, 2000, 05:14 PM

Hi All,

Just got a T10/100 ethernet cable to hook up my G1 80/8100 PPC to my new imac.

Looked at the back of the older one and saw a different type of connection (pins).

Is there an adapter to fit the pin connection to a RJ45 standard internet cable?

Thanks in advance

Tony

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2000, 01:13 PM

Tony,

yes, there is such an adapter, it is called an AAUI-to-10BaseT-Transceiver (might be called AAUI-to-RJ-45 transceiver).

Note that the AAUI socket of your 8100 is Apple specific, so you would have to look for such a transceiver at an Apple dealer or at an Apple savvy mailorder company.

Hope this helps,

Walter.

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2000, 01:17 PM

Tony,

an addendum to my previous posting:

if you are going to connect your Macs directly (i.e., without using an additional hub), you will have to use a crossover cable instead of a straight-through one.

Walter.

Tony DeCicco
Jan 12, 2000, 01:42 PM

Hi Walter,

Thanks Alot for the info!

Will I expect a significant degradation in speed with this adapter vs straight internet.

(I primarily will be using it for transfer of files and game playing (Graphics etc)).

Tony

Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2000, 06:08 AM

Tony,

connections using this adapter will be as fast as the 8100 is capable of (i.e. 10Mbit maximum under ideal conditions). There will not be any degradation by the transceiver as such. A transceiver does not change between protocols, it just connects different plug/cable types, all of them are plain ethernet.

Regards,

Walter.

Dev
Jan 23, 2000, 06:35 PM

I have noticed with older PPC machines, and on my 8100/100av, once you have the cables hooked up, make sure that the iMac is turned on before you switch the 8100 from appletalk printer port to ethernet port. You may have problems with the 8100 switching over to the ethernet port if there is no other device on the network. My 8100 refuses to switch to the ethernet port unless it see's another device.

Beware of small retailers ripping you on the AAUI adapters, expect to pay about 30 - 35 bucks. Ive seen some retailers charging 50 - 60 bucks.

Good Luck!

Dev

Forum Links
Forum Rules