Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > BIG problem with a 7600

BIG problem with a 7600
Jan 15, 2000, 08:51 PM
ok, here's the deal:

i have a 7600/132. I decided a couple of weeks ago that since the G3 upgrades were pretty cheap, so for $259 i got a Sonnet Crescendo G3/300 upgrade with 512k cache. I installed it without a hitch, and it booted up just fine (a hint that I installed it correctly). this was last monday. it hasn't crashed since.

the problem started this morning. i started up this morning, except it didn't start up. the green power light came on, except there was no chime. the monitor light turned green for a second, then red (as it does when the computer sleeps). i think the hard drive spun up for a second, too. so i first think something must have happened with the upgrade card, like it came unseated. i open up the computer, take out the card, press the motherboard reset switch, reseat it and try starting up again. no luck.

then i tried putting back in the old processor card. i took out the upgrade card, press the reset switch, put in the old card, and tried to start up again. same thing.

i then tried one last time to put in the upgrade card. i did it, and again it didn't start up.

while i did all the card swapping, nothing appeared "fried" although i'm not sure what it would look like if it was.

what to do?

bluefire 529
Jan 16, 2000, 03:23 AM
The next thing I would look into is replacing the PRAM battery. You need a 3.6V 1/2AA type. Radio Shack should have some as should your local Apple dealer/support center. What you are descibing are all sypmtoms of a dead battery.
Forum Links
Forum Rules