Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Installing ethernet (LC PDS) card in Performa 6300CD

Installing ethernet (LC PDS) card in Performa 6300CD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2000, 07:06 PM

Help! I'm attempting to install a LC PDS-type ethernet card (MacAlly) into my Performa 6300CD (OS 8.1, 64meg, internal 28.8k modem.)

1) the card rests upside down and awfully close to the motherboard. Several components on the ethernet card actually touch components on the motherboard, and the ethernet card covers two large VLSI chips, which I figured were out there in the clear for ventilation purposes. The ports, however, fit perfectly out the knockout window, so from that respect it looks perfectly installed. The pins, however, don't feel so securely installed...

2) when booting, the computer can't find the card. It tells me there's a problem with my AppleTalk port, and it's using the built-in LocalTalk port. Which control panels/extensions do I need to have activated to run this card? When I attempt to start AppleTalk, it now only gives me a choice of Modem port or Printer Port. I know when properly installed,
I should get a third choice, connect via ethernet.

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated:

mikejaz@interaccess.com
mikejaz@netscape.net
-jazman

valentinedwv
Jan 23, 2000, 12:58 AM

You need to install the ethernet driver for the macally card.

Jan 23, 2000, 03:14 PM

OS 8.1 should have installed an ethernet extension (Ethernet (Built-In) - I think that's what it's called) and AppleShare extension along with the AppleTalk control panel. I don't remember if there was a Network control panel in 8.1 as Apple has been consolidating a lot of this stuff in the Users & Groups control panel as well. Also, there should be a file sharing extession,file sharing library (in extensions folder) and the File Sharing control panel (which in later OSs contains the old users and groups stuff.) Anyway, if all this is in there is should work unless your card manufacturer (for some weird reason) requires it's own software.

I have an Asante (I think that's the brand) PDS ethernet card in my Performa 476 and it works just fine running OS 7.6 and I did NOT install any special software.

Good luck,
SH

carsonau
Jan 23, 2000, 04:41 PM

I have a Ballisitic LC-PDS from www.macstation.com, I never had a problem with it, no driver needed and just plug and play on my 6320, running 7.6 and anything after.

Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2000, 12:49 AM

Cards that use the same chipset as the Apple branded cards will activate with the Apple drivers. The ones that are different won't. The Apple drivers aren't always the best drivers for those cards either.

I had an Asante card that worked with Apple drivers, but increased throughput greatly with the proper driver.

drewman

Forum Links
Forum Rules