Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PowerMac 6500 Modem + OS9

PowerMac 6500 Modem + OS9
Forum Regular
Jan 25, 2000, 04:21 PM

Friend of mine has just installed MacOS9 and has decided to finally get in the net.

Does anyone know what modem script the Internal modem should use? I figured it was a GV Platinum 33.6 but Remote Access brings up an error saying "The modem is not responding..." The modem is set to use the modem port and is definately plugged in

Would appreciate any help.

Riddler
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2000, 06:53 PM

it is an awful modem, rip it out and get an external... really.

that internal 'GeoPort modem' is just a disgrace.

park74
Jan 25, 2000, 08:48 PM

Those internal modems are really bad. If you did a clean install when you installed 9 I think you will need to restore some extensions from the cd that came with your 6500. I got out my cd and looked, I think these are the ones you need.

extensions:
Telephone Manager Extension

extensions:modem scripts
GeoPort/Express Modem
GeoPort/Express Modem CNG

Basically anything you find that looks like it has something to do with the modem. Also make sure that they are all turned on in the extension manager. I know that when I had done a clean install one time I had to go through this process. Hope this helps.

Riddler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2000, 03:03 PM

Thanks alot guys. It's not my 6500, it's a friends. I think that I'll sell him my Dads modem, give my Dad my 56k, and just use my Airport BaseStation over Ethernet for my G3.

Unfortunately I can only tell the BaseStation to hang-up from my iBook, they better update the Airport software soon, it's starting to annoy me.

Thanks again guys.

Riddler

[This message has been edited by Riddler (edited 01-26-2000).]
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

Forum Links
Forum Rules